• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Schismatoglottis prietoi 

Hi all,
How have the plants grown in your low tech tanks?
They haven't really lost any leaves, so my guess is that they have have grown a bit. I was a bit worried that they would lose their leaves following @Jayefc1 post.

I'll fish the remaining ones out at some point and I can compare them to the original photos. None of them are attached to anything.
I've had no flowers as yet
It maybe that the check in growth stimulated flower bud production.
though continuing rampant growth. The plant I took the cutting from to send to you was back to the same size within a few weeks!
Mine definitely haven't grown that quickly.

cheers Darrel

Hello All!

I found this plant listed locally in my area, I am planning to attach it to driftwood as some of you guys did. I just want to ask how did you attach it? Tied it with cotton string, wedged it in gaps, or you used glue? Thanks!

Hi all,
just want to ask how did you attach it? Tied it with cotton string, wedged it in gaps, or you used glue?
Welcome to UKAPS, any of those options will work.

If you glue it on (with cyanoacrylate superglue), glue the root to the wood, rather than the rhizome. It may grow more quickly if it roots down into the substrate.

cheers Darrel

Hello All!

I found this plant listed locally in my area, I am planning to attach it to driftwood as some of you guys did. I just want to ask how did you attach it? Tied it with cotton string, wedged it in gaps, or you used glue? Thanks!

Welcome to UKAPS - I just glued mine directly to the hardscape and it soon rooted itself in place to the point where it can be difficult to eventually remove - it seems to latch on tighter that any other epiphyte I’ve grown.

You could wedge it too fairly easily, though it is quiet buoyant. You could also tie it, but depending on the piece you get, the root and rhizome structure can be quite thick, so tying may prove tricky.

Plus, as Darrel says, you can plant direct into the substrate. Though again, the roots get massive making removing and replanting particularly messy - it’s not an easy plant to keep maintained at a certain size in the soil as it is difficult to trim.

Does anyone know if there is a common larger version of this plant? I ask because when my dad used to buy plants for his tropical tanks, albeit 20 years ago, he always used to have one plant that looked exactly like this which barely fitted in the tank because of its height. It was at a time when non aquatic plants were rife in the hobby but I do know it wasn't a peace lily because it had the ruffled leaf edges. It was a really beautiful plant and I'd like to get hold of another.

Hi all,
Does anyone know if there is a common larger version of this plant? I ask because when my dad used to buy plants for his tropical tanks, albeit 20 years ago, he always used to have one plant that looked exactly like this which barely fitted in the tank because of its height.
Have a look at @hydrophyte's posts, he tried a lot of <"different Aroids in his ripariums">.

cheers Darrel

If this forum was a book then the part with hydrophytes posts would be falling apart, the amounts of times I've thumbed through them but ive not seen it on there unfortunately. I'm not sure if I'm miss remembering the plant but it was a really popular one at the time and it's a shame I've not been able to find it since. It's basically like a peace lily but with the nice ruffle edged leaves of the schismatoglottis.
It's not important really but something I'd like to stumble on one day.

Hi all,
It's basically like a peace lily but with the nice ruffle edged leaves of the schismatoglottis.
A "Calathea" maybe? They aren't Aroids, but they have a ruffled edge to the leaf. This is <"Goeppertia (Calathea) rufibarba 'Wavestar'>.

pl2000034368.jpg

cheers Darrel

It had similar leave edges to a calathea but they were more diamond shaped and it had the exact same characteristics as the pictures on this thread of schismatoglottis prietoi, ie the multi stem plantlet's (but with leaves 4-6" long). I've just been having a quick read and it says that emersed grown schismatoglottis can be far larger than when they are grown submersed, plus it looks like prietoi is a dwarf form. I'm kinda convinced it's a schismatoglottis sp of some sort. It did pretty terrible in our tank and the bit about snails eating the leaves rings true. I think it might have just hated life underwater or now know that it could have been adapting to submersed growth. Since most of the other plants we had were mostly what I'd now know as non aquatics it might just be something that's not sold anymore.

If it was anything else then a spathiphyllum is close but I remember it having really tough leaves, much different than the peace lillies I've seen. I've also not seen a cultivar with the same leaf structure.

Hi all,
It had similar leave edges to a calathea but they were more diamond shaped and it had the exact same characteristics as the pictures on this thread of schismatoglottis prietoi, ie the multi stem plantlet's (but with leaves 4-6" long). I've just been having a quick read and it says that emersed grown schismatoglottis can be far larger than when they are grown submersed, plus it looks like prietoi is a dwarf form. I'm kinda convinced it's a schismatoglottis sp of some sort. It did pretty terrible in our tank and the bit about snails eating the leaves rings true.
@Mick.Dk is your best hope, he has worked with a lot of these plants.

cheers Darrel

Mort, your plant could have been Lagenandra thwatesii....... but there are/have been very many variations of "peace lily" grown in nurseries. Quite a lot of such plants vere sold for use in aquaria. Therefore it was more likely a Spathiphyllum sp. (= peace lily).

Thank you Mick. i just had a quick look and it does look very similar to lagenandra thwaitesii, a genus I hadn't even considered tbh. It's a new avenue to look down anyway and it seems that it might be a fun plant to give a go.

I've got two of these, always been healthy, reckon each has about 75 - 100 leaves but then in last two weeks I've started to find about 5 or 6 leaves floating in the corner of the tank and one looks a lot less dense. Nothing has changed at all, we're in lockdown so no new fish, snails and just same old water changes.

Does that happen sometimes? Still see a few very small new sprouts coming through so I'm hopeful. Although my two Schismatoglottis prietoi are planted in the substrate not on wood or floating like annubis.

Back