• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone have their tank in an alcove/corner?

bushaaayyy

Hi, new to the forum

I’m in the very early planning (daydreaming!) stage. The space I have available is an alcove that is approx 99cm wide.

The majority of scaped tanks that I’ve seen are freestanding, does anyone have examples of tanks positioned in an alcove? Would like to get a sense of how it looks aesthetically.
Also trying to decide what size tank to go for, whether I should try and squeeze in a 900mm tank or go for something like a 600 to have more space open space around the tank.
If anyone has photos they could post of their tanks in an alcove, or links to journals would be much appreciated

Hi,

Have our cube tank in a corner, works fine for our room, see no reason why you not to use your alcove, not everyone has the room for a freestanding tank.

A 900cm tank would probably just work in that you have about 9cm spare to allow the cables and pipes from filters etc to be run up.

Plenty of 800mm tanks around ready made or built to order, would not drop down to 600mm tank, unless you needed to have a canister filter by the side of the tank rather than in a stand/cabinet beneath ?

What is the depth of the alcove, will a typical tank stand forwards of the main wall or flush ?

We had one in a arched alcove when I was young that was squeezed in with only a cm on each side to spare. I don't have any pictures but it looked nice like that.
My brother has one now in the same space (we only live a few houses away, so internal architecture is the same) and his is a smaller tank that has gaps on each side and I don't think it looks as good. I think if it fits more snug it looks custom rather than you just tried to fit a tank in a available space.

I have one in a fireplace (alcove dimensions approximately 60 cm wide x 95 cm high x 30 cm deep) in our dining room: Fireplace Aquarium, Fireplace aquarium With the light on it really brightens up what is otherwise a dark space and the motion of fish and plants provides interest. I'd recommend being sure you leave enough room around the sides (and the top) to be able to get your hand/arm behind the tank in case you need to access something back there. Be careful not to underestimate how much maintenance your new aquarium is going to need so you can avoid getting into a situation where you have a big expensive tank that doesn't look as you'd like it to because you can't effectively work on it.

So the alcove is one side of a chimney breast, about 35cm deep, and I’ll be building some fitted cupboard units and shelves that will sit proud of the chimney breast so planning to have the tank come proud too. With a matching set the other side of the chimney breast, the tank will sit on top of this cupboard unit.

Picture of the alcove and the type of fitted units im planning to make below

Attachments

• 4A71A455-F264-4568-964B-A2615002569F.jpeg
    4A71A455-F264-4568-964B-A2615002569F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 307
  • F9AEFB30-2F27-45DC-AB56-1D18A7A58E1F.jpeg
    F9AEFB30-2F27-45DC-AB56-1D18A7A58E1F.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:
A 900cm tank would probably just work in that you have about 9cm spare to allow the cables and pipes from filters etc to be run up.
Will 9cm be enough room to allow the glass style lily pipes to fit? And can I have all the pipe work positioned on one side of the tank? Inflow, outflow, co2 etc? Would it create flow problems around the tank having everything on one side?

Have our cube tank in a corner, works fine for our room, see no reason why you not to use your alcove, not everyone has the room for a freestanding tank.
Do you have any pics of your setup? Would be interested to see

Hi,

Not much to see of a cube tank up against the two corners of the walls ... :) and cannot see how it would really relate to your alcove design.

Think you would be better spending some time looking though this forums Journals and Filters sections to see better examples and whats needed to set them up.

While you could squeeze a 900mm than in your 990mm space, think we would go for a 800mm tank as that will give you better access to both sides, but it really depends on what looks good to you ?
Equally a smaller, though still a decent size, 600mm tank will be cheaper to set up and run.

Is this going to be your first go at fishkeeping / planted tanks ?
If so, then think we would suggests going with a smaller simpler low tech tank, if you start off with something big with expensive lilly pipes etc etc it can soon run out of control.
You have a lot more to consider with a planted tank with fish etc than just a standard fish tank, just too easy to get it wrong or overwelmed, though always help in this forum.

We get loads of pleasure from our little 40cm cube, aka the planted jungle rather than a designer aquascape , and from the expriences we have of it, moving to a larger tank would be much easier, though no plans to currently do so.

tank.jpg

Ive had all my tanks in corners the only thing to watch out for is the room to clean the outside glass when needed or addition equipment like pipes etc.

Is this going to be your first go at fishkeeping / planted tanks ?
I’ve had a number of freshwater tanks and a small marine setup previously. However have been out of the hobby for 5-6 years now, so not a complete novice but having a ‘proper’ planted scape will be a new experience for me. I plan to take my time and do plenty of research. I most likely won’t be pulling the trigger on actually purchasing a tank for atleast a month, possibly two. So hopefully plenty of time to educate myself!

Hoping to take a trip to aquarium gardens in the new year (providing we are not in another lockdown). Where I can get up close and personal with some tanks, and get some advice too. Meanwhile I’ll certainly take your advice and spend my time scouring the forums here to gather as much relevant info as possible

I think the big question is just about the placement of the tank and the pipes. If I were you I would get the 90cm, and then I'd place it irl to see where it looks best for the pipes to go. Maybe I would find a box with the right proportions and put it in place to make sure it all looks right. I think you probably have two options for pipes - either on the side which is covered by the wall, have a gap and a hole in the 'shelf' the tank is going on and the pipes go through there, or have a hole near-ish to the corner that overhangs in that photo, where the pipes come up there and onto the side. I think you will have enough space, there isn't too much need for a lot of space for the pipes.

One thing I'd consider is that I have an inline-heater (the hydror) which is on my outline pipe (so there are no heaters inside the tank), but that makes the space the outlet pipe needs wider, heavier, a bit distorted (cos it can just go straight up) and uglier. Since your pipework has to look more slick I'd buy a filter with a heater built into it so there's no disruptions.

20201226_174836.jpg

This an alcove. Go as big as possible, if you can't reach something just invent a tool. Headhight is my limiting factor. 👍

I think you probably have two options for pipes - either on the side which is covered by the wall, have a gap and a hole in the 'shelf' the tank is going on and the pipes go through there
Appreciate your input!

My instinct is to go with this approach, and have a ‘slot’ rather than a hole(s) in the top of the cupboard unit. Think this would give me the flexibility to adjust the positions of the pipes if needed, and add any extra equipment if desired. Then I could make an insert for the slot with the holes drilled for the final positions of the pipes once I’ve got things running sweetly, and this would keep things looking neat and tidy.
or have a hole near-ish to the corner that overhangs in that photo, where the pipes come up there and onto the side
The sofa is opposite and to the left as your looking at the alcove, so think I would prefer to keep the view as unobstructed as possible from this side.
Since your pipework has to look more slick I'd buy a filter with a heater built into it
This is good to know, as this is one area I was considering trying to save a bit of money, as from what I’ve seen the thermo filters are a bit pricier. Something for me to look into further

Go as big as possible
I think you are right here, could see myself going smaller and wanting to upgrade after 6months.

your tank looks great, though I notice yours doesn’t fill the width of the alcove, do you wish you’d gone bigger to fill the space?

I don't, but I'm planning the exact same thing :) I have the same alcove and have one of those style fitted units in the front room, which I plan to replicate in the 'dinning' room to put my 90cm tank on. I can't remember without measuring, but I think I have slightly more side to side space than you. Definitely think about pipe position etc. One option, though might be a bit advanced is to get it drilled and pipe through the bottom. It's quite common on marine setups. Just throughing it out there as an option if you want to maximise tank footprint/minimise visible equipment.

I think it can look nice built in as you don't have the inevitable gap around the cabinet where you have to stand it forward of the skirting board or you've got a weird gap down the side if you have it near a corner.

I'm planning the exact same thing
Glad to hear it 🙂 hoping you will be posting any progress on the forums here? As I’d be very interested to follow your progress!

What are you thinking in terms of construction for the units? Typically I’d make something like this from 18mm MDF. But I’ve never built any with the intention of having such a large weight on. Thinking I’ll probably go for decent quality 18mm ply, with a central divider inside the cupboard for extra support. Then some heavy duty adjustable feet at the bottom.
minimise visible equipment
Weirdly I actually quite like the appearance of the glass fixtures, I like the futuristic/chemistry set kind of aesthetic it gives. Plus you have a bit more flexibility with directing flow etc

Glad to hear it 🙂 hoping you will be posting any progress on the forums here? As I’d be very interested to follow your progress!

What are you thinking in terms of construction for the units? Typically I’d make something like this from 18mm MDF. But I’ve never built any with the intention of having such a large weight on. Thinking I’ll probably go for decent quality 18mm ply, with a central divider inside the cupboard for extra support. Then some heavy duty adjustable feet at the bottom.

Weirdly I actually quite like the appearance of the glass fixtures, I like the futuristic/chemistry set kind of aesthetic it gives. Plus you have a bit more flexibility with directing flow etc
Haven't got too far into plans, but I think I will baton (e.g. 2x4) along the back, side and chimney wall - mine are brick - to give a level surface, and build down from there. I'll probably use a piece of kitchen worktop for the top surface. The tank is currently supported in a sort of similar way (wall batton on two sides, adjustable leg at the front and a cupboard underneath.

If using typical kitchen worktop of around 1mtr long you will need to brace/support it along the front edge and across the middle or two.
You are talking about placing 200+kgs on it, thats about 2-3 adults !

If you have ever carried a 3 mtr length of standard worktop you will know how readily it bows .
Also any cut edges must be well sealed as the chipboard core will blow out as soon as any moisture seeps on to it.

MDF must also be well sealed as it also absorbs and expands with moisture, though its horrible stuff to work with, dangerous dust when sawing etc and a total pain to paint and achive a decent finish, the end grain even worse.

but I think I will baton (e.g. 2x4) along the back, side and chimney wall
Don’t think batons will work for me as with only 9cm of spare room available think it would interfere with creating an openings for the pipework

Back