• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another sump, media and co2 questions

Boshk

Hi all
Got a few questions, hoping you guys could help.

I converted my Red Sea Reefer 525XL tank to freshwater, volume around 525L and dimensions are 5ft long, about 22in tall. Initially I was going to use the Display tank (400L) only and buy 2 canister filters (Eheim 2215/7 or Oase 350s) placed either side but decided against it.
With the canisters, I would have just used the media included and probably never give it another thought, all the water drawn flows through the canister and all its media but with a sump, I'm actually a little lost in how much media I need and where to place it.

I currently have:
2L Eheim Substat pro
1 Marinepure Block
2L Sera Siporax
1 black coarse sponge
Fine layer of floss which I use as the 1st stage of filter which I bin every week
There are 4 cups in the sump (picture included), I tried to replicate the Eheim layering, Substrat pro at the base of cups which is always in water, white (fine) sponge then 2 blue sponges then floss.
The rest of the media are just in the sump.

1) Is that enough for an average planted tank?
2) How do I polish the water efficiently like a canister filter where all the water drawn goes through the media/filter/pads. The downflow from the display tank is high, I already have the return pump on its lowest setting and some of the water still bypasses the 4 cups. I can see detritus in the sump already.

Recommendations?

Attachments

• 425nw2.jpg
    425nw2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 247
You will never be completely rid of detritus no matter how much you polish. Don’t be upset that’s a good thing, just annoying to see. I give my sump a good clean once a month and at every water change I siphon whatever detritus I see. As long as it’s not being sucked back into your display I wouldn’t fret. Sweet setup though, I’m jealous. I have a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump. I inject my CO2 into a small Venturi reactor based off of Tom Barr’s internal design. And works well without having to mess with the return plumbing.

Would not worry too much bout biological media, and would instead run with mostly mechanical media (Floss).
Maybe also foam over filter inlet's, to clean weekly with each water change.

Could you get rid of the cups entirely and buy some pond filter sponge and cut to shape to fill that box as 1st stage mechanical filtration, then chuck a load of biomedia in the main compartment?

This is how I'm set up and it works fine.
Thought about that too, I actually thought about a 3D print of a box that would slot into the cup holder slot and use pond filter sponges, but...my CAD is not existent and I have no 3D printer haha

Thought about that too, I actually thought about a 3D print of a box that would slot into the cup holder slot and use pond filter sponges, but...my CAD is not existent and I have no 3D printer haha

I have a 3D printer - post a sketch of what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back