• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Wood identifaction

Paul Kettless

Could anyone please help me identify this wood, I bought it quite a fews years ago now and both pieces were sold to me as Mopani. Would like to get some more smaller pieces to compliment it. Also as a side note, what stones do you think would be best with this. I'm going for a nature style using ferns, crypts, mosses etc as will be my first real aquascape aquarium. My first attempt many years back had 80 percent non aquatics plants in it from our friends at P@H🙄 I've learnt that the people we trust to know don't always, and I question everything now.
16094232566653503801535728046295.jpg

Yes, that is Mopani Wood / Root... It is easily recognized because it is multicoloured brown to sometimes black. That's the only wood available to us that has this. The bark side usually is light brown and smooth, the core is dark brown and very textured. From what tree or shrub it is I have no clue because Mopani is a region in South Africa. It's also often sold as Savanah Wood, but anything that comes from the African Savanah's can be given that name, Opuwa is another one, but that is all over reddish-brown coloured, easy to keep apart.

Edit: I was mistaken, Mopani definitively is an African tree sp.

It is Opuwa wood that is named after the region it's found.

Yes, that is Mopani Wood / Root... It is easily recognized because it is multicoloured brown to sometimes black. That's the only wood available to us that has this. The bark side usually is light brown and smooth, the core is dark brown and very textured. From what tree or shrub it is I have no clue because Mopani is a region in South Africa. It's also often sold as Savanah Wood, but anything that comes from the African Savanah's can be given that name, Opuwa is another one, but that is all over reddish-brown coloured, easy to keep apart.

Edit: I was mistaken, Mopani definitively is an African tree sp.

It is Opuwa wood that is named after the region it's found.
You have exactly described the wood it is a pale brown and smooth on the other side. Many thanks for the clarification I can buy more with confidence now.

Back