• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New filter for 300 liters

Fred13

Hello everyone,
I am trying to find a filter for my upcoming tank.
Its dimensions are 120 x 50 x 55 cms , 330 liters in total.
I am aware of a variety of brands but I cant find what suits me best...
I would like to stick with 16/22 since I am going to use lily pipes , external heater and reactor.
Budget is somewhat limited.
Any help is more than appreciated:)

Interesting question.

So your JBL 701 has a flow rate of 700L/h which would give a real flow rate (0.4 x flow rate) of 280L/h for your 150L that would be a turnover of 1.9 x per h

using this data: JBL e1502 would have an estimated real turnover of 3.7 x per hour. Aquael ultramax 1500 would have an estimated real turnover of 4.0 x per hour. So to get close to the fabled 10 x turnover you would need 2 of which ever one you choose when you decide to go high tech.

I used this bit of research I have been doing, it is no way finished and might not be precise or correct. Butt might help with an overview and stop you spending hours collating data. Hope you can read it?
View attachment 160161
Hi,

If you just ignore the first bit as it was relelvant to my filer that I have. The Grumpy One a member on this forum made this very handy spreadsheet, just view the attachment. The problem that you are going to find is that the more powerful filters around 2000lph mark are 19/25mm. With the e1902 actually 19/27mm. I have been looking extensively for a new filter for my 200ltr and seems I am heading towards the Aquael Ultramax 1500

Hope this helps

Two JBL E1502 would provide excellent turn over and be cheaper to buy than some of the big filters out there.

Hello ,
I have considered to use 2 filters but I would like to keep things simple and stick with just one...
Will the aquael 1500 or the 1502 JBL do the job?
I have used a jbl1502 for my last 65 gallons tank and it was great, this time though tank is somewhat larger.

I found that eheim professional 5 700 may do this trick for me.
Unfortunately the cost is very high

I think with a tank that size you are not going to get away with just one filter, even if it is one of the big hitters. unless you are keeping it fairly low stock, and going low tech. With the high tech 10x turnover as a guide you would be way under this, so would have to supplement the flow with powerhead or two. The Eheim pro 5 700 claims 1850lph but it won't deliver that, lucky with media if it hits 1000. That's means the tank is turning over just over 3x per hour.

Personally instead of one canister on a tank that size I would use 2 x aquael, jbl 1502 types for better flow, better biological filtration and by having 2 running you are safeguarding yourself against one possibly not working for whatever reason.

Plus you could buy 2 for nearly 100 quid less than the Eheim and spend that on extra plants (the best biological filter you could have)

I think with a tank that size you are not going to get away with just one filter, even if it is one of the big hitters. unless you are keeping it fairly low stock, and going low tech. With the high tech 10x turnover as a guide you would be way under this, so would have to supplement the flow with powerhead or two. The Eheim pro 5 700 claims 1850lph but it won't deliver that, lucky with media if it hits 1000. That's means the tank is turning over just over 3x per hour.

Personally instead of one canister on a tank that size I would use 2 x aquael, jbl 1502 types for better flow, better biological filtration and by having 2 running you are safeguarding yourself against one possibly not working for whatever reason.

Plus you could buy 2 for nearly 100 quid less than the Eheim and spend that on extra plants (the best biological filter you could have)
The truth is that I am going somewhat lowtech since I will limit my lightning intensity and also the co2 levels. I will aim for 15ppm instead of 30.
I understand the point of using two smaller filters and you are absolutely right. However, I dont like the view of two output and inflow tubes. If we assume that I will need 2 set of lily pipes the cost will also get a lot higher.
There is one more hope left which is the new biomaster 850. It seems huge with plenty space for biological filtration. I may get away with a small skimmer or a pump if things dont go well with the flow.
I really dont know !

It's all a bit of a lottery, I have same decision to make and still haven't decided lol. Be interesting to see how you balance a low tech with c02, low lights and ferts. In my mind that's high tech. Although assuming you will keep easy plants.

Good luck with it

I use 2 a jbl150 and an oase 350 on my 1200 and it works so well Crystal clear water and great flow around the tank why would you put a pump in when you can have glass a pump if the filter you decide dont give you the flow you want is going to cost you in any case

It's all a bit of a lottery, I have same decision to make and still haven't decided lol. Be interesting to see how you balance a low tech with c02, low lights and ferts. In my mind that's high tech. Although assuming you will keep easy plants.

Good luck with it
Lowtech is somewhat misunderstood. You can have co2 in lowtech but you should limit the light and choose plants wisely.
Yes , easy plants only with few of the medium range. None of the plants will need more than 15 to 20 ppm. In reality , most of the plants that I am going to use should properly grow even without co2. Although having co2 ensures the quality of the growth even for the easiest species.
FI use 2 a jbl150 and an oase 350 on my 1200 and it works so well Crystal clear water and great flow around the tank why would you put a pump in when you can have glass a pump if the filter you decide dont give you the flow you want is going to cost you in any case
I see your points there. In my opinion this is an overkill for a 120cm. It may not if you dose full EI or having tons of light.
I think that I can stick with one huge filter like the oase 850, evaluate the situation after few months and act as needed. I could probably add a smaller filter to increase flow on the long run.

Last edited:
I see your points there. In my opinion this is an overkill for a 120cm. It may not if you dose full EI or having tons of light.
I think that I can stick with one huge filter like the oase 850, evaluate the situation after few months and act as needed. I could probably add a smaller filter to increase flow on the long run.
Agree that the canister has a large area for media but with only 1250lph flow rate, I wonder if Oase have missed a trick with this filter. Will be good to see one in action though

Agree that the canister has a large area for media but with only 1250lph flow rate, I wonder if Oase have missed a trick with this filter. Will be good to see one in action though
Yes in terms of biological material capacity it's pretty good.
The 850 model is rated at 1500 liters per hour , however this is never true . Most of the manufacturers overrate the power of their filters probably for marketing reasons.
Anyway, I guess this is my choice.. at least for the initial stages.
Unfortunately, the new version of aquael 2000 has 19/25 diameter hoses. I was very close of getting one ;(

The 850 model is rated at 1500 liters per hour ,
Not being argumentative but its def 400g gal 1250lph, straight from the Oase website. I have done nothing but study canister filters in the past week lol, and I am still none the wiser really. And your right its your choice, I too looked at the Aquael 2000 and wont fit my lily pipes. Also like the look of the jbl e1902 and same issue with larger pipes. Good luck with your search.

Not being argumentative but its def 400g gal 1250lph, straight from the Oase website. I have done nothing but study canister filters in the past week lol, and I am still none the wiser really. And your right its your choice, I too looked at the Aquael 2000 and wont fit my lily pipes. Also like the look of the jbl e1902 and same issue with larger pipes. Good luck with your search.
I just checked it and you re absolutely right, its 1250. I cant remember where I v seen this rated at 1500. My bad..

agreed there is conflicting information, from Oase and even the main suppliers dont have it right, I have seen 1250lph and 1550lph on different sites, AG have 1250lph on there webisite maybe @Siege can clear it up

It doesn't make sense to have the same flow rate with its smaller brother.
George Farmer reads 1550 h/l on the box in his review .

It is quite expensive though, I hope it is at least well built to last a long time

Yes 1,250 for the 600 model.

we’d go with 2 filter of this size on a 4’ tank. Defo if using co2. Even that isn’t high flow.

Back