• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis yokoscensis info?

Nick_593

Hi guys does anybody know any information about Eleocharis yokoscensis?

I'm wondering if it is Eleocharis acicularis with a different classification? Apparently E. Yokoscensis is from China and Mongolia? If anyone knows how it grows that would be great? Or any more information please?

I've seen this online. Link below.

Sincerely,

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It's the same genus (Eleocharis, sp.) so I'd imagine the plant will have very similar characteristics. I think E. acicularis is cosmopolitan too so it might even be the same species with a different classification from China. I will trial it. My guess is that it will be fine in an aquarium and save a lot of money.

Does anybody know about this plant specifically? Or can offer anything here?

Sincerely,

N

It's the same genus (Eleocharis, sp.) so I'd imagine the plant will have very similar characteristics. I think E. acicularis is cosmopolitan too so it might even be the same species with a different classification from China. I will trial it. My guess is that it will be fine in an aquarium and save a lot of money.

Does anybody know about this plant specifically? Or can offer anything here?

Sincerely,

N

I lot of people have the same thought, I am yet to see any seeds sold online last long term (more than a few months)

Am sure @dw1305, @Siege could offer a more informed opinion.

@dw1305 and @Mick.Dk will be able to tell you more about the particular type but @Nick potts is correct.
I wouldn't trust this, most carpets sold as seeds are from terrestrial plants and won't survive submerged for more than a few months at most.

The plants spread so well by runners, can you imagine the man hours and expertise trying to get seeds from mini hair grass! I’m afraid it is a complete scam.

These seeds for sale and the resulting sprouting plants will probably go well in a egg Mayo sandwich but that’s about it 😂

Fair enough. However, have these particular seeds/ this variety been properly trialed?

Fair comment on the seeds being a scam. I know this has been around for a while, but I've not seen this variety before however. And to name it as an eleocharis variety, I wonder whether seed could be harvested from a natural variety of this genus. Maybe not from cultivated eleocharis pussilla 'mini' (I don't know!?). But I'm pretty sure Eleocharis does produce seed and can be propagated and harvested. It may not be popular with plant nurseries, however, due to the shear amount of plant you could theoretically get from a batch of seeds for not much money?

Anyway I would love some Eleocharis seed and I will try this seed in a glass bowl and then grow it around a wabi kusa.

Sincerely,

N

Hi all,
Fair comment on the seeds being a scam. I know this has been around for a while, but I've not seen this variety before however. And to name it as an eleocharis variety, I wonder whether seed could be harvested from a natural variety of this genus.
The plants spread so well by runners, can you imagine the man hours and expertise trying to get seeds from mini hair grass! I’m afraid it is a complete scam.
I'd be really surprised if it wasn't a scam, but you could tell pretty quickly from the look of the seed, below are Eleocharis seeds (from <"Probably not Glossostigma...........">)

canada-spikesedge-herbarium-specimen-seeds-jpg.jpg

but I've not seen this variety before however.
You are right if it was the real thing it would be extremely <"similar to E. acicularis">.
........included Eleocharis yokoscensis within the circumscription of E. acicularis (Linnaeus) Roemer & Schultes as a synonym of E. acicularis var. longiseta, but we have observed and compared the characters of E. yokoscensis and E. acicularis and find they differ distinctly in characteristics of the nutlet and perianth bristles........

cheers Darrel

Back