• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taller bodied fish

I'm after a shoal of small fish for my high aspect ratio tank - it's 100x45x55cms tall. As George farmer says in his new book:
"Taller ranks suit taller-bodied fish and shallower tanks more streamline species".
I've had harlequins before, and I'm tempted to have them again - right size, right shape and very beautiful.
Any suggestions of small, peaceful tall-bodied alternatives?
20210117_191500.jpg

Last edited:
Red phantom tetra is a fun fish, easy, long lived (mine are close to 4 years now, lost 0 since day 1) and fairly active. Males can put up fun shows showing off and fake-battling. Others in that family share the taller build.

Another vote for Lemon Tetra, I had the orange variety. Not sure of the correct name but a guy in my lfs said they were called bolivion tetra?
Beautiful colours on them.
Hatchet fish might be a good option and another favourite of mine are Honey Gourami
Nice tank by the way
Cheers
871A6270-A6CF-4D92-9EC6-A69462B24730.jpeg
402B0EF5-296C-4A11-BFB3-FDFA82EC8E00.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all,

They are unsuitable for an open top, even with the water level dropped. They get very excited when they get a food they like (Mosquito larvae, Fruit-flies) and will jump as soon as the aquarium lid is off.

cheers Darrel
I've just got George Farmer's book and there's an inference he uses Amano shrimp in open-topped aquaria - I thought this was no-no too? Maybe I'm just misreading him?

Black Widow tetras can look stunning against in a well planted aquarium. They have a reputation of being a bit nippy but not found this have 10 or more. Lemon Tera fan too and keep an eye out for Diamond tetras. Have a light in room desklamp or similar on when the tank lights go off so has not to prevent tank jumpers. Learned that to my cost with killifish

With some leds you can reduce the lighting slowly over a period of time until it's dark and this is great for fish. They get a little spooked as no one suddenly turns the sun off in nature.
My tank get direct sun so in the winter it's dark when the light goes off and I hear my fish jump (I have glass cover so they don't escape and have never caused any injury that I know of) but in the summer when it's still lightish outside this doesn't happen. I've been meaning to order a controller for my leds but haven't got round to it yet. Floating plants can help reduce jumping fish as they feel more secure.

Amanos in open top tanks, I lose about 1/2. I stopped adding them after then 3rd loss. :( I've kept Carnegiella myersi, and Carnegiella strigata. Both will fly if given the chance. I tried in vain to get both to spawn, I'd like to try again one day.

I don't think I can recommend many more fish, other than some classic gourami and barbs. I have a soft spot for Parambassis ranga, if you can find them.

With some leds you can reduce the lighting slowly over a period of time until it's dark and this is great for fish. They get a little spooked as no one suddenly turns the sun off in nature.
My tank get direct sun so in the winter it's dark when the light goes off and I hear my fish jump (I have glass cover so they don't escape and have never caused any injury that I know of) but in the summer when it's still lightish outside this doesn't happen. I've been meaning to order a controller for my leds but haven't got round to it yet. Floating plants can help reduce jumping fish as they feel more secure.
I've got 2x24w fluorescents and a 150w metal halide. The fluorescents come on half an hour before the MH and turn off half an hour after it, so it's not quite such a shock. And I have amazon frogbit too (just ordered some phyllanthus fluitans from @EA James as well 👍🏻).
But no Amano or other jumpers for me.

I've just got George Farmer's book and there's an inference he uses Amano shrimp in open-topped aquaria - I thought this was no-no too? Maybe I'm just misreading him?
I think it really depends, in all my years of keeping amano (8 years now) I've had 1 that I found on the floor, out of 20 or so over that time period. I dont consider them jumpers and have them in my open tanks.

I think it really depends, in all my years of keeping amano (8 years now) I've had 1 that I found on the floor, out of 20 or so over that time period. I dont consider them jumpers and have them in my open tanks.
I lost the most of them in tanks with wood reaching the surface, they love to climb it and then escape. Didn’t lost one in my old iwagumi setup.

I lost some neocaridina the same way too.

Back