• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cherry Shrimp and Co2 Advice

JPT81

Hi all,

Yesterday, I bought and settled in my first 6 Cherry Shrimp in to my tank.
I was running my Co2 each day for roughly 6 hours at around 1 bubble per second.
I’d start it an hour before the lights came on and turn it off an hour before lights went off.
My question is...am I going to kill my Cherry Shrimp using Co2?? 🤔
I’m considering using my Co2 every other day instead of every day to see what happens but I don’t know if that’s a good idea!?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
I’m curious to see how others get on with Cherry Shrimp and Co2.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I did a search on the forum and couldn’t find what I was looking for.

Thanks all! 🙂

I’m considering using my Co2 every other day instead of every day to see what happens but I don’t know if that’s a good idea!?

No, either turn off CO2, reduce injection rate or leave as is.

My RCS have no problem with CO2, I have lose some when surface skimmer got clogged due to failing to clean it before holiday and DC was clear when I got home. But if they survive the CO2 cycle once then they should be fine, if the [CO2] starts getting too high for them some will be trying to get out of tank, others may be on their backs, If they are on their backs putting them in water with low [CO2] and they soon recover IME even when they look dead.

RCS are pretty 'bullet proof' IMO/IME. I put two on my low tech tanks in the garage as 'wife' wanted them out of the way for 'house viewings' as house was on market, I didn't put heaters on tanks:oops:, Most of plants was killed by the cold water, however the RCS survived

No, either turn off CO2, reduce injection rate or leave as is.

My RCS have no problem with CO2, I have lose some when surface skimmer got clogged due to failing to clean it before holiday and DC was clear when I got home. But if they survive the CO2 cycle once then they should be fine, if the [CO2] starts getting too high for them some will be trying to get out of tank, others may be on their backs, If they are on their backs putting them in water with low [CO2] and they soon recover IME even when they look dead.

RCS are pretty 'bullet proof' IMO/IME. I put two on my low tech tanks in the garage as 'wife' wanted them out of the way for 'house viewings' as house was on market, I didn't put heaters on tanks:oops:, Most of plants was killed by the cold water, however the RCS survived
Thanks very much Zeus!
I’ll try and reduce my Co2 rate and see what happens!! :)

If you are using a DC (Drop Checker) and it doesn't go beyond 'pale yellow' you should be fine IMO/IME, but reducing the BPS and slowly turning it back to previous levels once your you are happy with the RCS is playing it safe :thumbup:

If you cant see all/any RCS once you put them in the tank, which you may do depending on what other livestock you have in your tank, remember RCS are great at hiding 'if' needed. where as Dead RCS dont hide ( or ones on their backs)

@JPT81 what colour is your drop checker when the lights come on and during the lighting period?

Loads of people have cherry shrimp in planted tanks with co2 so i can't see it being a problem
Hey James,
The drop checker is generally a dark green/blue colour.
I’ve turned the Co2 down to around 2 bubbles per second and will see how that goes.
As Zeus said, I’ll just take it easy and increase the Co2 slowly (if and when needed).
Thanks for the reply James!

If you are using a DC (Drop Checker) and it doesn't go beyond 'pale yellow' you should be fine IMO/IME, but reducing the BPS and slowly turning it back to previous levels once your you are happy with the RCS is playing it safe :thumbup:

If you cant see all/any RCS once you put them in the tank, which you may do depending on what other livestock you have in your tank, remember RCS are great at hiding 'if' needed. where as Dead RCS dont hide ( or ones on their backs)
Thanks again Zeus!
I’ll do as you said and lower the BPS.
Will start off with 2 BPS and see how I get on.
Thanks again!

I always worry that the DC isn’t quite right.

The DC always tells the truth esp with a freash/recent solution, its the pH profile that always worries me. The pH drop is irrelevant to the plants in some ways, having a stable pH for the first 4-5hrs of the photo period is the critical point with CO2 injection, plants don't like unstable [CO2] when they are photosynthesising in the first 4- 5hrs - it messes with their internal mechanisms of managing CO2

Can anyone advise on when I should do my first water change with my shrimp!?
The last water change was 1 week ago but I did a general clean of the tank 3 days ago when the shrimp went in (Not a water change).
Do you think it’s wise to just check the water perimeters and do a 10-20% water change next week seeing as they’re still getting used to their new home?

Can anyone advise on when I should do my first water change with my shrimp!?

When its due ;) as toxics (DOC) may/will be building up in tank

I did a general clean of the tank 3 days ago
WC best done after general clean as water will be full of algae 'detritus'/spores/DOC released into water when cleaning

Do you think it’s wise to just check the water perimeters

No - Testing water although some swear by it, All I check is the DC, pH when doing pH profile. Test kits don't check for Dissolve Organic Compounds (DOC), doing a WC reduces these by the % of WC ;)

When its due ;) as toxics (DOC) may/will be building up in tank

WC best done after general clean as water will be full of algae 'detritus'/spores/DOC released into water when cleaning

No - Testing water although some swear by it, All I check is the DC, pH when doing pH profile. Test kits don't check for Dissolve Organic Compounds (DOC), doing a WC reduces these by the % of WC ;)
Thanks, as always Zeus!
I actually just checked water perimeters just before I read your reply! 😂
My PH is reading 6.0 and the rest of my readings are fine too.
I’ll go ahead with my weekly clean and WC but do around 20%. 👍

Back