• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rimless tank options post-EA?

My APS tank was ordered 4 years ago, they could have improved. Additionally, EA tanks silicone has been known to bubble, which will be weakening that single area. Having seen 150?cm EA aquascaper tanks, I couldn't trust them as the deformation of the front/back panels was a little too noticable and two display tanks had bubbles in silicone :confused:

I have found the picture of damage to the APS tank I retruned, but photos were taken using a potato. I'll post 'em up here when I get a chance.

My experience of aquariums, in chronological order.

Juwel - bomb proof. Stands are duds. This rekord still exists, almost 20 years later.
ADA - best imo, 90P is 450£.
ND - solid, poor silicone work.
APS - shoddy.
A4L - exceptional, but 10mm start for optiwhite.
TMC signature - Nice aquariums, nice silicone. not quite ADA.
NACD - fine for a sump.

I've never owened an EA tank, just going by what I have seen. At 90cm the pressure is significantly less, so I would worry less.

My current 60 x 40 x 40 is an APS Optiwhite tank also, and it's been absolutely fine so far. Silicone work was great on the vertical panels. It was a little more ropey on the base panel, but then I had to consider it in the context of being one of the cheapest optiwhite tanks available at £67 including delivery.

My (yet to be used) 1500mm tank is a A4L custom one (I actually snagged if off eBay for a bargain due to a cancelled order from one of their customer). They are the Roll Royce of tank, absolutely flawless (though I've not seen an ADA in the flesh as yet).

Another vote for A4L. I have two. The build is superb and the customer service is fantastic. I would suggest calling them to see what they have available to deliver now.

How about another option, US firm Waterbox Aquariums have setup a UK base. Found them as I was looking for an Optiwhite all in one tank. They seem to now being selling freshwater rimless tanks.

CLEAR

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. Lots of interesting info.

The Waterbox aquariums do look good value and certainly something I'll look at further. With that said A4L do a very good value 600x450x450 for £170. If they're as good as everyone says then I might well give them a call.

I've actually rearranged my office and, very conveniently, found this lovely little spot for a 600mm tank. Another good reason to order one 🙃

Thought I would give you all a mini update on the EA now D&D tank shortages. I received an email from my supplier saying they have been advised by D&D that they are still having difficulties getting the stock into the UK, and that is mainly due to the position of brexit. Complete Aquatics told me that I am unlikely to see it until the end of February at the earliest. So frustrating.

A4L are excellent I have a 400l tank from them. Good customer service, lovely silicon, polished edges. Worth the wait.

I also have three 90l superfish scapers tanks. For a budget tank I'm very impressed. The filter is a bit pants, I'd plan on replacing if you're stocking heavily or want 10x flow, the light is bright and 7500k, I have mine dimmed right down, they'll be enough to grow plants with co2.

I've read that the new D&D "EA" tanks will be horrifically expensive too. A local Maidenhead told me they wont be stocking them as they don't think they can sell them at the price they are due to come out at. Wonder what they will be like...

I've made up my mind though, I think I'll be ordering a 90x60x45 tank for A4L and making my own stand for it. I've also ordered an APS 60cm tank because I was too curious not to, but I'm quite aware they may well be terrible when they arrive, so we shall see!

Wasn’t the selling point of EA (back when) that they were a UK company, built in the UK
Honestly, I dont know the answer to that. The supplier said that the glass is imported from china, and they seemed to suggest that they would be built elsewhere in europe, and then shipped to the UK made up. Im guessing @Siege might be able to give a better insight into the facts.

've read that the new D&D "EA" tanks will be horrifically expensive too. A local Maidenhead told me they wont be stocking them as they don't think they can sell them at the price they are due to come out at. Wonder what they will be like...
Dont like the sound of that, I wonder how I stand with one pre ordered and paid in full. I shall be really annoyed if they cancel the order after 2 months or demand a huge extra sum of money.

Well a further update for you all on the EA, D&D tanks fiasco, and I’m afraid its not good news for me. Unfortunately it appears that there are very long delays, and my supplier cannot give me any information at all on how Long I could end up waiting. Furthermore, he also informed me that the price of the tanks is going up considerably, and that D&D will not honour the prices of pre-ordered tanks Even when paid in full. To say I’m miffed is an understatement. I’ve been waiting 7 weeks to now be told this. I can’t blame the supplier as they are telling me that the information and progress being given to them from D&D is shocking at best.

Therefore, I’m in the process of getting my monies refunded, and now have the headache of starting again. Did anyone enquire further with Waterbox? As they seem to be fairly decent product. Really not even sure where to start without now having to wait weeks and weeks for a custom build.

What size were you going for @Paul Kettless? A4L have a few sizes in stock ready to go when I called them last. If I hadn't picked up a used ADA on these forums I would have ordered on from there already.

In other news, my APS 60cm tank arrives tomorrow, looking forward to see if I get a good one or a bad one!

What size were you going for @Paul Kettless? A4L have a few sizes in stock ready to go when I called them last. If I hadn't picked up a used ADA on these forums I would have ordered on from there already.

In other news, my APS 60cm tank arrives tomorrow, looking forward to see if I get a good one or a bad one!
I’m after a 900x500x450, or there equivalent. it may be worth giving them a call maybe. Thanks for the heads up on that. Good luck with the APS keep us posted.

Well a further update for you all on the EA, D&D tanks fiasco, and I’m afraid its not good news for me. Unfortunately it appears that there are very long delays, and my supplier cannot give me any information at all on how Long I could end up waiting. Furthermore, he also informed me that the price of the tanks is going up considerably, and that D&D will not honour the prices of pre-ordered tanks Even when paid in full. To say I’m miffed is an understatement. I’ve been waiting 7 weeks to now be told this. I can’t blame the supplier as they are telling me that the information and progress being given to them from D&D is shocking at best.

Therefore, I’m in the process of getting my monies refunded, and now have the headache of starting again. Did anyone enquire further with Waterbox? As they seem to be fairly decent product. Really not even sure where to start without now having to wait weeks and weeks for a custom build.
But isn't your contract with the retailer? If they're not going to supply you the goods you've paid for at the price agreed then name them and shame them I say.

I think Stuart is the director who will get this but drop them an email and tell them exactly what you think.
info@theaquariumsolution.com

Come on @George Farmer - with respect didn't you help EA develop this line and were the face of it?
Please see post #53 where @George Farmer makes it clear his contract finished with EA in 2018, something I knew nothing about and always thought he was the face of this Aquascaper range so apologies George.

Last edited:
Well I called the A4L and they have dangled a carrot with a 900x600x500 that they have. I guess that I can get away with the extra height no real issue from 450-500mm With my ONF flat one, but 600 wide I’m wondering if the light distribution would cover that surface area ok As my light is not the pendant type. Therefore, raising the light fitting is not an option.

Last edited:
Back