• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fabihanski

Hi all, simple question really (hopefully).

I have some small bits of wood that I am dry starting in a very humid closed terrarium, it has developed a fuzz like mould or fungus all over one side.
Could this hurt Java Moss or Anubis? Could it hurt any of the other semi aquatic aquarium plants?
i spritzed the mouldy bits of the wood with h2o2 3% and have been told by a trusted friend that cinammon powder works against mould, but if the mould is unlikey to hurt the plants, I’d rather just let it fizzle out.
I had soaked the wood in bleach and then for a few weeks in hot water from kettle changing water every day, but it didn’t seem to help

When I did my dry start I removed the wood to stop the mould spreading. Moss will attach to the wood when the tank is flooded so its probably your easiest option.
IMO mould will damage your plants.

There are different kinds of mould, but as long it is white or light grey in colour you don't really have to worry that much. It's a pretty normal process we can't get around, just wait it out and it will disappear on its own. If you have a pet shop or lfs with a terrarium section nearby that sells springtails then buy these and add them to the tank (Also in case of the aquarium during the dry start). Springtails are harmless and eat mould it will help... Once the tank as flooded all springtails will float to the surface then scoop them off and throw them somewhere outdoors so they can go on living a happy life.

Collecting some dirt and or moss from outdoors and add this to the tank might introduce springtails as well for free.

Last edited:
There are different kinds of mould, but as long it is white or light grey in colour you don't really have to worry that much. It's a pretty normal process we can't get around, just wait it out and it will disappear on its own. If you have a pet shop or lfs with a terrarium section nearby that sells springtails then buy these and add them to the tank (Also in case of the aquarium during the dry start). Springtails are harmless and eat mould it will help... Once the tank as flooded all springtails will float to the surface then scoop them off and throw them somewhere outdoors so they can go on living a happy life.

Collecting some dirt and or moss from outdoors and add this to the tank might introduce springtails as well for free.

I've ordered some springtails to start a culture, looks like they'll also be useful for the terraria I have. Thank you, I hope that clears up the all the mould

I have several small terraria setups and all initially developed some mould, some worse and a bit longer than others.
But it always does go away after a while when it runs out of nutrients I guess. I always use mosses from outdoor to get some critters in it. If it's not hermetically closed some will eventually come and find the terrarium on its own devices. At least that's what I see in my Paludarium that has some landmass and springtails in it without me adding any.

But culturing and adding them can speed things up... They have more benefits than only fungi on their diet. Dart frog keepers like to use them as food for the frogs too. :)

Good luck...

I bought a starter culture of springtails and it cleared it up, thank you 🙏I wish I could get them to breed faster now! They seem to love cheerios 🤣

Back