• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ca:Mg:K Ratio

Is there an alternative Ca salt I could use that mixes stably with MgSO4 ?

Only if the Ca content in the intended mixture is below the solubility threshold for CaSO4 precipitate to form.

Should I replace KNO3 in my macros with CaNO3 instead ?

Only if the resultant mix contains no Sulphates or Carbonates or as above below CaSO4 and CaCO3 solubility threshold, thus the salts need to be Chloride based. If you want Calcium reinforced Macro you will need to source the Chlorides for all the major Ions or change nothing else but dose just the CaNO3 from its own bottle.

:)

Only if the Ca content in the intended mixture is below the solubility threshold for CaSO4 precipitate to form.

Only if the resultant mix contains no Sulphates or Carbonates or as above below CaSO4 and CaCO3 solubility threshold, thus the salts need to be Chloride based. If you want Calcium reinforced Macro you will need to source the Chlorides for all the major Ions or change nothing else but dose just the CaNO3 from its own bottle.

So if I were to change my GH Booster to a more soluble mix of Ca and Mg then I would need to use CaCl2 and MgCl2 instead of MgSO4 ?

GH Booster to a more soluble mix of Ca and Mg then I would need to use CaCl2 and MgCl2 instead of MgSO4 ?

Or do your own DIY one;)

What parameters are you after ? I have been working on anew Remininerliser calculator which works/does ratios as well, it will be some time before its released but happy to run some scenarios/parameters thought for you.
It even does reminerlising solutions - if the salts solubilities permit it, Just need your target dKH dGH and Ca:Mg:K ratio tank/WC Volume, list of salts you have at present as a starting place will help too

So if I were to change my GH Booster to a more soluble mix of Ca and Mg then I would need to use CaCl2 and MgCl2 instead of MgSO4 ?

Yes, If you want to store a premixed solution in a bottle that you use at every waterchange you need to be careful not to exceed the solubility rules for Calcium Precipitate formations because of the presence of Sulphate from Magnesium, if it’s all Chlorides then it would all remain in solution.

You can use a combination of all the Chlorides and Sulphates if you wished if you direct dose to the tank as bare salts after waterchange rather storing it in a bottle and risking precipitation (SaltyShrimp GH+ used for remineralising RO water for sensitive shrimp is a mix of the chlorides of Magnesium and Calcium), even storing combinative mixtures together ‘dry’ for ease of use can cause precipitation issues so care needs to be taken (dry Calcium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate together in a bag is a no no).

I use mainly the Carbonates of Magnesium and Calcium for remineralising RO/DI, this requires special preparation to store in a bottle, (I’ve done dry with carbonates direct to the tank but it looks like it’s snowed for a week or so) but I also augment the remineralisation with Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulphate at waterchange just so I can have Chlorides and Sulphates present because plants require them. I look at the water as Total Nutrition and not just a carrier for elements where sulphate and chloride excess can be hallmarks for pollution (in the wild), plants may not care but some aquatic animal species might.

A balanced mixture ensures you have all the required elements present in the water column, hopefully at levels that are Synergistic and not Antagonistic.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I do use Salty shrimp GH+ and knew it was a mix of CaCl2 and MgCl2 because of its hygroscopic nature. Im quite familiar with CaCl2 as Ive been using it for years to make DIY moisture absorbers for the cupboards and stuff.
As such I have no particular target ppm, I just want to add SOME Ca and Mg for the benefit of the plants. Right now I just mix 6tsp CaSO4 + 6tsp MgSO4 in a 600ml bottle and add 50ml of this after every water change to my 150L tank, so as such the solution isnt kept for too long. There is already some MgSO4 mixed with my macros.
I was just kind of trying to optimize my Ca dosing and check if there's a better way to do it.

Ca:Mg:K at 3:1:0.5 ratio is what some member seems to be using or being reported, how many people here are actually using this Ratio? is this ratio based on guess work
Hi, the answer is yes, complete guesswork, sadly.
or is there a science behind it?
No. The science is relevant to terrestrial plants, not to aquatic plants.
is it also tested with valid test kits to determine if these ratio are beneficial for plants? are these ratio tested in lab to insure more Mg is being used compared to K? same for Calcium as well.
No. Firstly there are very few valid test kits and this would not be the method to determine the consumption. Even if it were possible, the consumption rate for different species would vary. Secondly, nutrient uptake rates would vary based on environmental factors such as temperature, CO2 availability, lighting and so forth.

Cheers,

Back