• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rimless tank options post-EA?

Not just the cost factor but time too..Sod driving 400miles to save a £100
Would never have entertained the idea, your right just for a tank, but my work occasionally takes me near Manchester so it would have been a detour at best.

Last edited:
Would never have entertained the idea, your right just for a tank, but my work occasionally takes me near Manchester so it would have been a detour at best.
I have a EA 600 , I’ve had it for over a year now/ very well made and nice silicone work/ glass.
If I was you I would purchase the waterbox, I’ve heard some good reviews also.

Well guys, I have bitten the bullet and ordered one of the Waterbox 3620 from one of our forum sponsors, Horizon Aquatics. It doesn't seem that this brand is very well known at the moment this side of the pond so I guess in some ways I can be a test case. I will make sure that I do a product review when it arrives.

Last edited:
Well guys, I have bitten the bullet and ordered one of the Waterbox 3620 from one of our forum sponsors, Horizon Aquatics. It doesn't seem that this brand is very well known at the moment so I guess in some ways I can be a test case. I will make sure that I do a product review when it arrives.

They are a US company and popular over there, atleast in the reefing world.

this has been a helpful read as i'm in a similar boat to you, postage it a killer, especially as in cornwall i seem to come under a excess postage charge, just cancelled my APS order.
also prices have seemed to be going up alot for postage and tanks.

waiting on a local shop to get these in stock.....

https://www.aquael-aquarium.co.uk/w...8mRCo_FOlIF17BqcX6EK3aRTz_C9yCZmD4Ct00iZvyiEk

its £250 for the tank and lid and light..... they think

Think you’ve made a good choice with the water box. The tank glass and silicone work is as good if not better than the EA. And the the cabinet is better built. The guys at horizon gave me a shake test comparison of an EA 900 and the water box equivalent. (Grab the glass and shake it) The water box didn’t move a CM whereas the EA cabinet moved quite a lot.

Think you’ve made a good choice with the water box. The tank glass and silicone work is as good if not better than the EA. And the the cabinet is better built. The guys at horizon gave me a shake test comparison of an EA 900 and the water box equivalent. (Grab the glass and shake it) The water box didn’t move a CM whereas the EA cabinet moved quite a lot.

Looking on their website, I quote fancy one of their AIO cubes as a shrimp tank - tempting!

@Wookii , they look really good in the flesh and like I said the build quality looks exceptional.

The only aspect I could see where the EA tank seemed to have the edge was that the EA cabinets have a lot more colour choice.

Perhaps though, this may be something that will change with the Waterbox tanks.

I’ve spoken to quite a few different sources recently regarding the EA Aquascaper tanks because my plan was for the next tank to be a 900, and although the official party line is that we are waiting for DD to start producing them again, after acquiring from EA, the general consensus from everyone I spoke to seemed to be that they don’t hold out much hope that we will ever see them in production again. At least not anytime soon.

I was really pleased to see the Waterbox though, as it seemed to measure up and even excel in most ways.

I noticed last time I want to my local shop The Aquatic Design Center in London that they seemed to be selling their own custom made optiwhite aquariums with stands, and on their website they have a calculator for custom tanks. I thought they seemed well made and reasonably priced though I wasn't paying it too much attention (kept staring at the fish instead), I know they have another side of the business making big special tanks for commercial spaces so it makes sense. If someone is looking for a tank they could send them an email. Next time I go there I will check out the prices and ask them about it. Could be good for people who are closer to London! Seems like local is the way to go with these shipping prices.

The EA cabinet does move quite a lot if pushed from the side, i only realised recently. It's quite scary and i get quite paranoid about it now as it definitely moves with very little effort.

No Fault of Horizon Aquatics but it does seem that there are some delays on supplying the Waterbox orders 2-4 weeks delivery is now 6. It seems that the shortage with other manufacturers is now have a ripple effect as more and more people are trying alternative methods

Worth bearing in mind if you are thinking of ordering one.

How about another option, US firm Waterbox Aquariums have setup a UK base. Found them as I was looking for an Optiwhite all in one tank. They seem to now being selling freshwater rimless tanks.

CLEAR
I know somone with a reef waterbox aquarium. It is flawless.

Agreed, they are in serious need on an online makeover . . . hopefully @Aquariums4life will read this thread, as a forum sponsor . . .

This is their page that have the complete tank/cabinet option similar to the EA tanks: Aquariums4Life Aquarium Manufactures

Slightly more expensive that the EA tanks, but then, slightly larger tanks, thicker glass, and solid wood cabinets . . .

Their AquaVScape range looks like a good alternative to EA....

I noticed last time I want to my local shop The Aquatic Design Center in London that they seemed to be selling their own custom made optiwhite aquariums with stands, and on their website they have a calculator for custom tanks. I thought they seemed well made and reasonably priced though I wasn't paying it too much attention (kept staring at the fish instead), I know they have another side of the business making big special tanks for commercial spaces so it makes sense. If someone is looking for a tank they could send them an email. Next time I go there I will check out the prices and ask them about it. Could be good for people who are closer to London! Seems like local is the way to go with these shipping prices.
The organisation of that place is a mess. The tanks are just ok. Messy silicone and a lot of bubbles in my tank. Bubbles! Took 4 months to come.
Then the cabinet they said they'd make never came @Seige that's why I still haven't assembled the hardscape I bought from the AG last year... or maybe over a year ago. It was pre coronavirus!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1074075769.jpg
    Snapchat-1074075769.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
The organisation of that place is a mess. The tanks are just ok. Messy silicone and a lot of bubbles in my tank. Bubbles! Took 4 months to come.
Then the cabinet they said they'd make never came @Seige that's why I still haven't assembled the hardscape I bought from the shop last year... or maybe over a year ago. It was pre coronavirus!
Yikes! I was thinking I might get one via them at some point, thank you for pointing it out, what a big shame!! :(

I hope you can get a cabinet soon so you can finally start your scape.

Honestly I’m not sure, as a customer you can only go by what information is given to you, and I have no idea of knowing if it is factual or not. I would like to hope that they have been upfront and honest. Complete Aquatics told me that at no time have they been instructed to not taken orders, and that in the first instance when I placed the order they were just waiting for stock delivery.

Either way it does now appear that there are big changes for the brand EA, and that yet again D&D get involved with a brand and the prices rocket.

Complete aquatics are a bloody nightmare they don’t have most the stuff they have for sale in stock despite the website saying otherwise. If u look on their feedback a lot of people say the same. I ordered my tank from them because they were the only place that said in stock. Took months then when it turned up the light was missing. Wasn’t until I chased them up that they said that was also out of stock but it was ok because it was deff gonna be there the end of the week. 2 weeks later no show. Ended up getting a refund and it arrived from aquarium gardens which arrived the following day. They gave me £40 worth of their loyalty points as an apology for being crap. The irony is when I spent them have of it ended up being out of stock

Back