• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this a flower?

Hanterben

Sorry guys, I love having planted tanks but have never really learnt the names of most plants, so I don't know what plant this even is!
Anyway, over the last day, what looks like a pitcher plant flower has grown from what I thought was some sort of purple amazon sword (shows how much I know!) Is this a flower (slightly right of centre in the pic)?
20210224_160534.jpg

Hi all,
pitcher plant flower has grown from what I thought was some sort of purple amazon sword
Very nice, it is a Cryptocoryne flower. I don't know <"which species">, but you need a flower to get a definitive ID. @Christel, or @Mick.Dk, may know. They only tend to flower when they are emersed.

All <"Aroids"> have that type of "flower", a spadix, surrounded by a spathe. Amazon Swords (Echinodorus spp.) have a <"very different inflorescence"> (below).

dscf7173-kopie-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel! That's stunning, I now know the "area" that I need to research!
I have about 5 or 6 of this type of cryptocoryne in a palludarium, some are immersed, some on the water line and some above it. This one was on the water line until about a week ago when I dropped the water level by a inch or so.

Sorry guys, I love having planted tanks but have never really learnt the names of most plants, so I don't know what plant this even is!
Anyway, over the last day, what looks like a pitcher plant flower has grown from what I thought was some sort of purple amazon sword (shows how much I know!) Is this a flower (slightly right of centre in the pic)?View attachment 163611
This seems to be an inflorescense of Cryptocoryne undulata. The male and female flowers are in the kettle.:)

Back