• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank syndrome/bacteria bloom

DEN21

Seedling
I have set up a new tropical tank and am experiencing a bacteria bloom I believe..
My tank is mainly fake planted with moss balls and dried fern.
I have no fish in there yet but i own ghost shrimp would it be recommended to add the shrimp to help clear the tank?

Attachments

• 16146063380894521736365321991407.jpg
    16146063380894521736365321991407.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
  • 16146063576071244380680514775800.jpg
    16146063576071244380680514775800.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 132
Welcome to UKAPS!

First off I would ditch any plastic plants, and get a batch of good quality live ones in their place, and an all in one fertilizer like TNC Complete to feed them with.

Second off, don't add any livestock until the tank and filter have matured. A minimum of 6-8 weeks - more if possible.

The bacterial bloom should clear on its own in time, but you can always increase the frequency of your water changes (with dechlorinated tap water) if you want to get rid of it quicker.

I have set up a new tropical tank and am experiencing a bacteria bloom I believe..
My tank is mainly fake planted with moss balls and dried fern.
I have no fish in there yet but i own ghost shrimp would it be recommended to add the shrimp to help clear the tank?
From the light in the photo, it looks to me like your aquarium is near a window, if this is the case and you have natural light filtering through, you'll need to either move the aquarium or block the light. Sunlight makes algae go rampant and often causes greenwater. In the short term, whilst you have no livestock, you can try some liquid carbon to kill the algae, but make sure you measure exactly to manufactures instruction. Do not add any livestock until the tank is balanced. An algae bloom signals that you're not there and shrimp are incredibly sensitive to water parameters

That's what it looks like all right. :) No worries though, and no action is needed from you at this time. I would leave it alone for a few days (no water changes) and let it sort itself out - it will clear on its own and it's a sign that your tank is going through a maturation phase. It's the grey-translucent colour of it that suggests bacteria rather than algae. I would NOT add the shrimp until things are stable. You could lead off with some really easy plants like hydrophila polysperma once things clear up and settle down and wait for that to get a good growing headstart before adding critters and then I might go with a small number of hardy fish first before putting any shrimp in as well.

Back