• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Splitter with inline diffusors

Alex121

Seedling
Hi, I am hoping someone with some experience of this can help. I am currently running two filters on an Aquascaper 1200 however only have one CO2 inline diffusor. Studying the microbubble distribution around the tank, one end has far more than the other. I have a powerhead in there and have been playing around with the circulation but cant seem to get the distribution where I want it. I was thinking this may be helped by adding another inline diffusor to the other filter using the sort of two way splitter CO2 supermarket sell. I was wondering if anyone had tried this? and what sort of working pressure I would need? I am currently using a CO2 art pre se which goes up to about 50PSI (even though its meant to be capped at 40) will this be sufficient for 2 inline diffusors in this arrangement? I guess the other option is to upgrade to one of the regulators that has multiple manifold blocks and higher working pressure but that is a much more expensive proposition!

Yes it can be done, either with twin solenoids and twin needle valves, or single solenoid with twin ( or more) needle valves. I have the former.
The former also has the advantage of once the pH drop is done one injection line can go off till next day.
One regulator can supply many needle values 'if' done correctly.
But one needle valve can only supply one difussor/atomiser

I have the Pro Elite regulator that I think you are referring to, where you can add multiple manifolds. It doesn’t have a higher working pressure though. I find that mine maxes out at about 50 also, but it runs the manifolds no problem.

As @Zeus. says though, you can do it with the regulator that you already have if you get the correct fittings and apply properly. I’d suggest that the twin solenoid route would be your best bet if you are doing it DIY, as the functionality of being able to switch them on and off independently would be miles better for getting a quick, initial pH drop for lights on.

being able to switch them on and off independently would be miles better for getting a quick, initial pH drop for lights on

Then your pH graph looks more like
1615283170803.png

Surprises me more folk don't use twin solenoids, as it makes getting a stable fast pH drop so easy. In fact just thinking about it you I do have the booster line with the needle value fully open, so twin solenoids - one with needle valve and one without would be all thats needed as the booster needle valve on mine is doing nothing.

Thanks for your responses, good to know this is a possible, I had not really thought of it in terms of speeding up the PH drop more to help with CO2 distribution but that's definitely an added bonus. How much CO2 do you get through using this method @Zeus? My first 3.15Kg is just starting to run out so looks like it will have lasted just short of 3 months which seems like I'm already using a lot! I've never had a large rimless tank before and I am still getting my head round the CO2 requirements very different to my old Juwel Rio 125 where 800g lasted 6-8 months!

I also had another question I am hoping you maybe able to answer are the fittings on the different brands universal? The CO2 splitter I was looking at is from CO2 Supermarket but my regulator Co2 Art.

CO2 used Database will give you an idea base on tank size but every tank is different
The CO2 splitter I was looking at is from CO2 Supermarket but my regulator Co2 Art.

Shouldn't matter, fittings are fittings, just ask them what size fittings they use. I managed to damage my needle value on my duel stage, so worked out size of fitting a pitch of thread with Vernier callipers and just ordered a replacement for RS components

Thanks @Zeus, that Co2 database is really useful amazing how different tanks are! I am going to do a PH profile at the weekend to see how long it takes me to get the PH drop and then decide how I am going to set up the CO2 splitter, thanks again really helpful!

Back