• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish suggestion

Hi there I have a 20 litre planted dennerle nano cube home to about 20 shrimp. I’m looking for a fish that can be kept solitary. I considered beta Splenda but they can even go after shrimp. Any ideas? I’m looking for something that stands out.

Numbers of shrimp should increase with time assuming favorable condition's ,to where a single betta wouldn't be able to do much in the way of reducing the shrimp population. IMHO
Perhaps a small honey Gourami might be something to consider .Most fishes will view tiny shrimps as food/snacks, but if you let shrimp number's increase. I don't think one fish could do too much damage.
Tank is too small for much else other than single Betta or Gourami mentioned in my view.

Last edited:
Hi, I agree that with 20 liters and not wanting the shrimp to be devoured you are going to struggle. I'd personally try something to compliment the shrimp rather than try and have something really showy. A small species might not sound great but they can draw you into the tank when looking for them and make it far more rewarding than being able to see the fish from the other side of the room.
With 20 liters it's a real struggle though and I think you'd be better off with just shrimp.

A small species might not sound great but they can draw you into the tank when looking for them and make it far more rewarding than being able to see the fish from the other side of the room.
This, the effect of a small fish in a large tank has always drawn me in.

Realistically i wouldn't put any fish in the tank as in a couple of months there should be loads of shrimp if everything goes well. If you really want a fish i would get a betta and hope for the best with the shrimp.

Hi, I agree that with 20 liters and not wanting the shrimp to be devoured you are going to struggle. I'd personally try something to compliment the shrimp rather than try and have something really showy. A small species might not sound great but they can draw you into the tank when looking for them and make it far more rewarding than being able to see the fish from the other side of the room.
With 20 liters it's a real struggle though and I think you'd be better off with just shrimp.
Ok so maybe a few tetra of some kind? I know one other comment was to not have any fish at all which I kind of agree with. I’m scared of keeping up with keeping the water clean from poop, pee and uneaten fish food. Kids and wife desperate for some kind of fish though. Might try 3 or 5 cardinals or summit like that.

Green Neons are quite similar to cardinals, but quite a bit smaller so they might be a better choice for the 20 litres. :)

Ok so maybe a few tetra of some kind? I know one other comment was to not have any fish at all which I kind of agree with. I’m scared of keeping up with keeping the water clean from poop, pee and uneaten fish food. Kids and wife desperate for some kind of fish though. Might try 3 or 5 cardinals or summit like that.

Some endlers might be another option. They stay really small and are about as colourful as you can get. If you stick to males you don't have to worry about offspring and because they come in a multitude of colours you can all pick one each.

Back