• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

L-shaped tank water flow

richieh

Seedling
I am currently running an L-shaped system as shown in the attached image (please excuse the toilet). It is currently filtered by a canister filter rated at 400 gph, tank volume is 35 gallons (turnover rate = 11x).
The tank can be divided to two portions, the wide part and the long/narrow part. Currently, the outflow is distributed by a spray bar along the back wall of the wide part. While the inflow is located on the far end of the long/narrow part, as seen in the attached image.
My main worry is water flow in the long/narrow part. There definitely is flow in the long/narrow part, (caused by the suction of the canister inlet). However, the flow velocity is no where as powerful as the flow in the wide part caused by the spray bar.
Will these cause long-term algae issues on the long/narrow section of the tank? Is a powerhead/wavemaker needed or is the "weak flow" caused by the inlet suction sufficient?
P.S. By "weak flow", I mean, baby brine shrimps will gradually make their way to the inlet during feeding time, while the stem plants are perfectly still.

Attachments

• 037962AF-4119-4077-A189-0BCF219C4C9E.jpeg
    037962AF-4119-4077-A189-0BCF219C4C9E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Hi, that's a very cool tank. Due to the long narrow shape of the tank I think you would benefit from some extra flow in that section, especially when the plants fill in. I've ran a 100x20x20cm tank in the past and I needed a powerhead to push the water to both ends, even with a high powered filter.

Wow, great setup. If it was mine I would run it as a stream flowing into a lake, opposite flow direction to currently set up if I understand it correctly.

Cool looking tank - can we see more pics?

is this in your bathroom for a relaxing experience?

That is indeed an awesome setup, I already had this on my mind for a long time to make something similar.
Is this a CO² setup? Since you are worried about flow (CO² distribution) vs algae growth?

Then as said above, change the flow direction from narrow to wide. You also could use wavemakers to assist the flow distribution.

If low tech, then I don't really see any issues with flow distribution causing extra algae growth...

Wow, great setup. If it was mine I would run it as a stream flowing into a lake, opposite flow direction to currently set up if I understand it correctly.
I'd be tempted to pop the spray bar at the far right end of the narrow part, along with a decent flow pump, and have the suction end in the big tank. I'd also place a flow pump at the junction between narrow and wide tank to pick up the water from the narrow tank and push it into the wide tank.

Did the lady of the house spec a plug in the area a house guest with a poor aim after a skinfull might hit 🧐

A wave maker in the wider end and either the inlet or outlet in the long thin bit if you don't want a river effect.

Back