• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus melt

Kurt1960

I have a Echinodorus cordifolius. I planted it in the tank for 3 months ago. It has grown new leaves , but now they get brown and melt at the basis of the roset. I have never seen this before. Whats cause this?

Hi,
In the absence of better information such as tank details or photos, generally, browning leaves and melting at the base of rosettes is a symptom of poor CO2.

Cheers,

I think you are right. Its a 325 l tank with a lot of plants with a long (as long as the tank) spraybar in the back. A co2 reactor is coupled to a canister filter (1200l/h). I think that the cirkulation is too poor at the bottom. A photos of the tank and the Echinodorus is attached

Attachments

• kopi 1.jpg
    kopi 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 152
  • kopi 2.jpg
    kopi 2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 165
  • kopi 3.jpg
    kopi 3.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 152
@Kurt1960

I had those (or very similar) way back on a couple of occasions. I think its broad leaf chain swords, but not 100% sure... They are supposed to be "easy" and they seem to start out good, but mine got into trouble (melt) when they began to propagate / chain like crazy. What I later learned was to detach / cut the roots when the runners matured and that went way better. Don't know if that applies to your specific situation. Nice tank though - looks very lush.

Hilsen / Cheers,
Michael

PS: Don't think there is any particular reason, that I can think of, to be sorry about living in Denmark :)

Last edited:
Back