• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to smash petrified wood?

Michael1212

I'm trying to smash a petrified wood chunk into small bits, but not having much luck so far. I tried a hammer and chisel, but that just dented the chisel. I also tried a straight hammer, but that dented my hammer and chopping block. The petrified wood is laughing at me..

I'm thinking about putting it on the coal bbq next, then dropping in water. Anyone got some better ideas?

IMG-20210410-WA0029.jpeg

I would just hit it with a club hammer with the rock sitting on a concrete path or similar. You will get more natural fragments not using a bolster

If it’s anything like the multi kilo lump of lava rock I have then - ‘Nuke the site from Orbit, it’s the only way to be sure’

Masonry chisel and a hand sledge left me with a staved thumb and an intact rock, not yet got round to buying a long handled sledge I can swing at it, when I do the extra mass I’ve put on during lockdown should hopefully tip the equation in my favour!

Good luck with petrified wood!

:)

smash a petrified wood chunk into small bits
Smashing petrified wood should be a crime!
I agree with @Driftless. However have you considered slicing your fossilized wood with a diamond masonry cutting wheel and angle cutter.

We are lucky enough to have a sample of fossilized tree about three feet high in the front garden. It has the advantage of not needing pruning but it is yet to flower. Lol.

Yeah that wood chisel I used was weak as. Just ordered a tungsten metal alloy rock chisel to sort this prehistoric tree branch out. I guess I could always use another kind of rock shrapnel to decorate my sand.. but then the colors wouldn't match 😅

Back