• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pepper Corys - Feeding

Robert F Porter

Seedling
Hello there

This query is, I think, borne out of a degree of paranoia, but I will ask the question anyway. I have two small pepper corys and I am feeding them King British Catfish Pellets. It seems to me that the pellets are very hard, and my corys seem unable to put them into their mouths, although it is quite possible that they are "grazing" on them. Is this the feeding behaviour I should be expecting, or am I doing something wrong? For the sake of completeness, I should also mention that my corys get half an algae wafer every other day (some of which gets removed uneaten), and about twice a week the whole community gets a small feed of daphnia.

Finally, should I be feeding them at night before "lights out" rather than in the morning/during the day?

All thoughts and observations gratefully received.

The pellets should soften up gradually in water and the fish just graze on them while waiting for new layers to soften up. They dont have teeth so its a whole kind of "best effort" deal when they eat anything. No need to worry about that 😊
Even if the food you offer fits in their mouth they will spit it out and slurp it back in again multiple times. Sometimes it comes shooting out their gills as well :lol:

Algae wafers should not be a primary food, as they are not herbivores, but I have never met a cory that doesnt absolutely love the taste of algae wafer, so you can use them as an occasional snack. Most their food should be insect / meat based.
You can feed them in the daytime if they are active then and if it doesnt mean their tankmates eats all the corys food. Whatever works for you is fine :thumbup:

Hi all,
I am feeding them King British Catfish Pellets.
I use a pestle and mortar to grind up bigger pelleted food. You can buy one for about £10.
Most their food should be insect / meat based.
You could try <"Fluval BugBites"> as well, my fish are quite fussy because they mainly get live food, but they will eat these.
twice a week the whole community gets a small feed of daphnia.
Have you tried Grindal Worms? Easy to culture and Corydoras really like them.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Dear Hufsa & Darrel
Thank you both for your detailed replies. This is all very reassuring. I have ordered some Fluval Bug Bites, so I’ll be interested to see how they go down.

Thanks again

Robert

Back