• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's bedroom 60

pariahrob

Well, hello all.
It's been a long few years since I was last actively here. Being a dad meant sacrificing much hobby time (and rightfully so) but my daughter is now nearly 8 and life has changed a lot and I think it's time to get back in the saddle.
Partly because I miss it so much but also because River (my daughter) has shown a lot of interest over the last few months and I'd like to share this joy with her. I found her under the covers last night, reading my book of ada and loving it. Must be a sign.

So, no solid plans yet but my current thinking is to get a 60-70cm tank in my bedroom. Probably iwagumi style, with just a handful of fish and shrimp. I'm pretty much starting from scratch again, although I did keep all my ada tools, glassware and things like tds meter, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Very happy to be back in the scaping mindset and glad to see this is still the best site for the hobby. Hope to catch up with you all and chat soon.

Sounds great, some of the best times of my childhood were keeping exotic pets and aquariums with my dad, I'm sure your daughter will love it!

@pariahrob Don't know you since I am new here but nice to see you getting back in saddle, little heads up from personal experience, kids change interest all the time, I got left with looking after both tanks now with very little help :rolleyes: , good think I still like the hobby :)

Thanks for the welcome back everybody.
Kids can definitely change their interests but if she does end up hating it that's ok. I know I'm more than happy doing it all on my own but if I can pass on some of my enjoyment to her then all good.
I'm a single dad and we have found doing things together is a wonderful experience. So much better than just dumping ourselves in front of the TV.

Ok then. My first decision is to choose a tank. I have two spaces I could house it in. One is a 90cm wide recess in the middle of built in wardrobes. There's about 180cm depth below the top cupboard too. This space feels made to be a feature of some kind and I don't use a dressing table. Benefits are a nice focal point, plus if I end up with a pendant light I can hang easily and hide the electrics above.
Then there's a larger space in a corner. I could easily have a 90cm tank here. I like big scapes but that spot wouldn't be quite as pleasing as the almost purpse built space.
Decisions!

Question.
ive been going through the stuff I kept from years ago and can’t remember what this is. Is it co2 related? Also what’s the correct orientation?

Thanks. Being a father has clearly addled my brain. Or is the age?
4E02A410-E650-4391-8B72-8ABD632BAACA.jpeg

Things have moved on a bit in the years since my last tank but it still seems that ADA is the king of the hill. Is that so? Any other companies I should look at for a good clean optiwhite tank?
I’m less bothered by cabinets as I’ll probably make my own but if there are any notable ones you guys would recommend please drop links here.
same for lighting. I’m looking at the aquasky at the moment. Previously had a mix of ati T5s, NA t5 and MH, and giesseman led.
Thanks in advance!

Things have moved on a bit in the years since my last tank but it still seems that ADA is the king of the hill. Is that so? Any other companies I should look at for a good clean optiwhite tank?
I’m less bothered by cabinets as I’ll probably make my own but if there are any notable ones you guys would recommend please drop links here.
same for lighting. I’m looking at the aquasky at the moment. Previously had a mix of ati T5s, NA t5 and MH, and giesseman led.
Thanks in advance!
Welcome back to the hobby Rob!

I've had 3 nacd optiwhite aquariums, very good value and they have free shipping.

Obviously Ada stuff is amazing but the Chinese stuff is hot on its tails for a alot less. Check out the Chihiros vivid 2 if you like the aquasky, Twinstar have some great lights too.

I can recommend the All Pond Solutions tanks:

(EDIT: The image and description in the automated linking above shows the wrong item, but the destination is correct)

I have an NACD aquarium too, which is fine, but the two of the above APS tanks that I have, have thicker glass, and neater silicone work, plus a cheaper price.

The APS tanks have always required a bit of cleaning up where the odd smudge of silicone is on the glass here and there, but it's easily dealt with and otherwise the silicone is fine on the vertical visible edges.

Have you got any close up images of the silicon work of the APS tank @Wookii.
I ordered one a few years back and it was terrible.

I do - I posted it in a similar thread where we had this discussion previously I think. I'll try and find it.

I do - I posted it in a similar thread where we had this discussion previously I think. I'll try and find it.

Here we go - not the best images, but you get the idea:

1600343913728-jpeg.jpg

1600343941333-jpeg.jpg

They come well packaged too, double boxed with 9mm wood boards top and bottom:

344eb941-9db3-4e88-bdca-da1150869dac-jpeg.jpg

Obviously the silicone work isn't going to be quite up there with an ADA or Aquariums4Life unit, but then these APS tanks are a fraction of the price. I'm quite picky with my stuff, and I was more than ready to send the first one back if I wasn't happy with it, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

They are obviously a Chinese import of some sort like most APS stuff, so it's quite probable its a different supplier to when you had your bad experience Tim.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Looks like the lower-priced options have improved a lot over the last few years.
I may actually need to revise this journal (and its name) as I'm now considering rearranging the living room to do a 120cm instead. Seeing the prices and finish on the aps tanks makes that way more achievable and I think my daughter and I would be able to appreciate it more. That said she still wants her own in her bedroom. Being 7 she is keen to fill it with plastic mermaids and so on, so I might end up letting her have her own. Hmmm.

So, it looks like I need to have a rethink. I'll keep you posted!

While I decide on what tank to get, build a cabinet and so on I’m going to get a filter started. Ordered an oase 850 a load of matrix and some purigen. That’ll get hooked up to an ancient old 60cm tank which is going to be a holding tank for plants and so on.
Pretty excited to get started and have a few scape ideas running round my head.
The change from bedroom to living room is a good one I think.

Back