• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nerite Snail Help

JPT81

Hi all,

I’m looking at getting a Nerite snail but after doing my water tests, I’m not sure my parameters would be suitable.
Can anyone give me some advice on what the best course of action is as I’m being told that I shouldn’t mess with my parameters!?
The conflicting info is driving me mad.

Here are my water test results -
PH - 6.4
Nitrate - 5.0(ish)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Temp - 23.3
And tested for the first time today with an API kit -
KH - 1 (17.9??)
GH - 2 (35.8??)

I was told I should add some crushed shells or a cuttlefish bone to my tank but then I was also told by my LFS I shouldn’t mess with my tank parameters like that.

I’d love to here from others who might have had this same issue.

Thanks all - J :)

I should add that I may have done the API GH & KH test wrong.
The KH never turned blue as the instructions mentioned so the first drop was a really light yellow...maybe I need to add more drops to turn it a brighter yellow!?
And the GH started to turn a very light green/blue on the second drop, again, maybe I need to add another drop or 2 to get the colour more green!?

So, those GH & KH results could be slightly out. :/

I was told I should add some crushed shells or a cuttlefish bone to my tank but then I was also told by my LFS I shouldn’t mess with my tank parameters like that.
I bet that if you were thinking of changing them using expensive aquarium products they would be all for it. :)
Cuttlefish bone works, and it's cheap.
If you don't trust your water test results have a look at your water supply company's website for a drinking water quality report.

Thanks for your replies @sparkyweasel and @ScaperJoe much appreciated!
I didn’t know you could check your water quality online! You learn something new every day!! :)
Glad your Nerites are doing well Joe!

Back