• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new Oase 175 Styline

I have 8 baby discus and about 300 yellow cherry shrimp.with some nano fish the discus have only been in the.tank 5 days so.still.early.
Oh that’s lovely. How big is your tank please and what filter do you have? I need to get a bigger tank now I’m going down the discus route too. I was told the discus could eat the shrimp and to just get larger amano. I wanted cherry as well - you don’t find that then? What other fish do you have? I’m uncertain what to add; especially having the smaller tank ....

Oh that’s lovely. How big is your tank please and what filter do you have? I need to get a bigger tank now I’m going down the discus route too. I was told the discus could eat the shrimp and to just get larger amano. I wanted cherry as well - you don’t find that then? What other fish do you have? I’m uncertain what to add; especially having the smaller tank ....
Just read your thread. Sorry ... really interesting thank you!

So I was on another Facebook page lurking and they were saying about water changes and testing. I tested mine yesterday via the Aquarium Lab multi test kit and thought I was doing great but someone said (on a different thread) that your KH and GH should be virtually the same ...

mine aren’t so now I’m panicking again

my results are:
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8
KH 4
GH 14
According to the rear of the box I’m doing ok. Should I be worried as I don’t really know what it all means. I’m literally following instructions....

Just read your thread. Sorry ... really interesting thank you!
Ita a pleasure the tank is 284ltrs not sure if that is in the thread and I have 2 filter running and two heater good job I did have 2 heaters the discus are not at all interested in the shrimp and the colony is so large a few losses won't make any difference

Last edited:
Hi all,
that your KH and GH should be virtually the same ...
<"Usually dGH and dKH"> are linked because they both come from the dissolution of limestone (CaCO3) and that provides a 1 : 1 ratio of Ca++ (dGH) and 2HCO3- (dKH).

They don't have to be linked, you can add just dGH with a salt like calcium chloride (CaCl.2H2O) and just dKH with a salt like potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3).
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8
KH 4
GH 14
I'd be very surprised if <"you didn't have any nitrate (NO3-)">, and my guess would be that the dGH and dKH values are more similar to each other.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

<"Usually dGH and dKH"> are linked because they both come from the dissolution of limestone (CaCO3) and that provides a 1 : 1 ratio of Ca++ (dGH) and 2HCO3- (dKH).

They don't have to be linked, you can add just dGH with a salt like calcium chloride (CaCl.2H2O) and just dKH with a salt like potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3).

I'd be very surprised if <"you didn't have any nitrate (NO3-)">, and my guess would be that the dGH and dKH values are more similar to each other.

cheers Darrel
Now I best just be honest - I haven’t got a scooby what all that means ....

what further tests should I do?

what should I buy or add?

please make your reply idiot proof!!

thank youuuuu....

Hi all,
Now I best just be honest - I haven’t got a scooby what all that means ....
Honestly that is absolutely fine.

I think of it a bit like driving a car, you can be an entirely competent driver without understanding the software architecture of the Engine Management System and if you do understand it? It doesn't make you a better driver.
what further tests should I do?
I wouldn't do any. It's not that I don't want to know what the parameters of the water are, but there are a <"lot of variables">.

I began promoting the <"Duckweed Index"> (<"I've used it"> from long before it had a name) because it did a way with a lot of the need for water testing. Even though they have very different aims and techniques the same applies to Estimative Index (EI), <"you don't need to test">.

Simply put:
........ personally I'm a pretty shoddy aquarium keeper, so I need to cut to the chase, which for me is:

Rather than the regular addition of nutrients, I use <"a different approach">. I have a floating plant (usually <"Limnobium laevigatum">) and ,<"heavy planting"> of <"easy" plants"> in the tanks. I just watch the <"growth and leaf colour of the floating plant"> (so not CO2, or light, limited), all the time the leaves are green and the plant growing (how ever slowly) I don't add any nutrients (other than whatever arrives via water changes).

When plant growth (or leaf colour) deteriorates I add some nutrients, once growth has resumed it is back to observing and waiting.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Honestly that is absolutely fine.

I think of it a bit like driving a car, you can be an entirely competent driver without understanding the software architecture of the Engine Management System and if you do understand it? It doesn't make you a better driver.

I wouldn't do any. It's not that I don't want to know what the parameters of the water are, but there are a <"lot of variables">.

I began promoting the <"Duckweed Index"> (<"I've used it">

cheers Darrel
I remember this test from previous! Lol

my fish look fine and are confident and eating well.

my plants are looking fine.

my algae is clearing up!

so I guess I just keep doing what I’m doing: learn more and chill and enjoy!

thank you

I’m off too look in my doo dah drawer ...

Anyone else get thrown out too?! Sorry -saw it and couldn’t resist.....

Attachments

• 8CAA583F-CDB8-4A1F-A1FA-201C10C15220.png
    8CAA583F-CDB8-4A1F-A1FA-201C10C15220.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 175
Could anyone advise please. I’ve just come up from work and checked on the tank and fed the discus and one of my super red bristlenose is dead. The shrimp were feasting on him ...

from the photos can anyone tell me what I’ve done wrong. It’s my first loss. I’m devastated and now thinking the others will follow ...

just done a water test ... in photos

Attachments

• 82E78194-F926-4AA9-8127-D2A96FA15480.jpeg
    82E78194-F926-4AA9-8127-D2A96FA15480.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 135
  • F4F3DF64-BA9B-48CD-990D-8EFC0AE6C410.jpeg
    F4F3DF64-BA9B-48CD-990D-8EFC0AE6C410.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 136
  • F7032767-3507-4309-84DC-29859E40A512.jpeg
    F7032767-3507-4309-84DC-29859E40A512.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 123
  • 0F9A5CE2-1598-4280-B652-525C7AFAEA29.jpeg
    0F9A5CE2-1598-4280-B652-525C7AFAEA29.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 135
  • 726C6BF8-6DAE-46AB-8825-DABBBD0537F3.jpeg
    726C6BF8-6DAE-46AB-8825-DABBBD0537F3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • FA632323-785C-4161-B29F-BFDFC2D12653.jpeg
    FA632323-785C-4161-B29F-BFDFC2D12653.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • 70D69936-1F6B-454B-A406-78446E1E34B8.jpeg
    70D69936-1F6B-454B-A406-78446E1E34B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
Sometimes these things happen mate, I've kept fish for over 30 years and Sometimes they die without rhyme or reason. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, at least there's nothing obvious from the photos.

Could well be the fish was ill when you got it, or wasn't acclimatised slowly enough when it first went into the tank, as in high nitrate at lfs, to low nitrate in your tank, or could be you had an ammonia~nitrite spike when all the fish were originally added and this one couldn't cope with the long term effects of that, these are just guesses.

It's never easy when you lose a fish, but sadly it happens on occasion.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

It might be a low oxygen effect, if the water is very warm?
I have it at 28 degrees. I have a spray bar and a bubble spongy thing. Should I turn the bubble thing up higher or the spray bar more to 12 o clock. It’s at about 8 minutes past at the moment....

Attachments

• BAA9129D-13A8-45EA-9089-FDC23FFF100E.jpeg
    BAA9129D-13A8-45EA-9089-FDC23FFF100E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
According to Seriously Fish, the preferred temp range for a Common Bristlenose is 21-26 degrees C : Ancistrus sp. – Common Bristlenose Catfish (Ancistrus sp. 3) — Seriously Fish

I'm not sure if this applies to the variant you have, but it's likely it does. In the wild they inhabit fast flowing rivers and streams, and therefore likely have a preference for slightly cooler and highly oxygenated water.

As Darrel has suggested, the higher temperature (which results in the water being able to hold less dissolved oxygen), together with the temperature being outside of the suitable range, could be factors unfortunately.

According to Seriously Fish, the preferred temp range for a Common Bristlenose is 21-26 degrees C : Ancistrus sp. – Common Bristlenose Catfish (Ancistrus sp. 3) — Seriously Fish

I'm not sure if this applies to the variant you have, but it's likely it does. In the wild they inhabit fast flowing rivers and streams, and therefore likely have a preference for slightly cooler and highly oxygenated water.

As Darrel has suggested, the higher temperature (which results in the water being able to hold less dissolved oxygen), together with the temperature being outside of the suitable range, could be factors unfortunately.
Oh gosh. Poor things! Ok thank you for this information. It isn’t quite what I was told previously but I have learnt a hard lesson ....

Is there anyone around Doncaster area that would be willing and able to help me with my tank? I am willing to pay for expert advice.

I’m worried about cleaning the filter and pipes amongst other things. My other bristlenose has died now too which has threw me - im doing something wrong somewhere.

I’ve looked at YouTube videos for my filter but it doesn’t show how to remove the pipes from the tank end and they’re full of water. I’ve lost my confidence since I flooded the living room so I’ve not touched it other than clean the prefilter the other day but I held my breath all the way through ....

or can I pay for someone to talk me through it all and look closely at my tank and advise me via zoom or FaceTime maybe?

Sorry if this sounds a strange request but I’m really stuck

Back