• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants not really melting in a new tank, it that good?

CheckeredRust

Hey all, I started a planted tank about 5 days, I'm using aqua soil as the substrate. Except for the 2 java ferns, all other plants are the culture plants. I read that when plants are being introduced to a new tank, they would start 'melting' in order to establish new leaves for the new environment. However, it seems like most of the plants are doing fine as of now, is it too early to judge? I have added any fertilizers yet, only done 1x 40% water change. Currently using a low light 0.75w(while waiting for a 9w to deliver), no CO2.

photo_2021-06-09_20-02-58.jpg

If you aren’t adding any nutrition then they will be living off their owns stores for a while as they transition and possibly gleaning any nutrition that may be in the water column, if there is any shortfall to their needs then the plants will begin to excise tissue in order to save itself, this may be immediate and complete (crypt melt) or it may take an extended period of time where deficiency symptoms can be seen and diagnosed and possibly allow remediation to be performed where necessary to correct the issue.

Feed your plants!

:)

Hi,
I can't tell 100% from the photo but just in case, it looks a little like your Java Ferns are planted in the substrate. If they are, they shouldn't be and if they're not then I apologise.
Cheers

Start feeding them right away - neither of my 2 tanks had any melting, it's not inevitable
How often should I be adding fertilizer? Once a day? Once per water changes? If it helps, I'm using 2HR aquarist APT Complete 3.

Hi,
I can't tell 100% from the photo but just in case, it looks a little like your Java Ferns are planted in the substrate. If they are, they shouldn't be and if they're not then I apologise.
Cheers
No worries, I realized from that angle is does look like that, but my substrate is slanted, the ferns are tied to piece of wood, they aren't buried!

How often should I be adding fertilizer?
It depends - on my low tech dirted tank I split the recommended weekly amount into six and add 1/6 daily when i remember , I double it for a bit if the frogbit starts shrinking. For my cube which has slightly more demanding plants, better lighting and diy CO2? that gets the full weekly amount every other day .

How often should I be adding fertilizer? Once a day? Once per water changes? If it helps, I'm using 2HR aquarist APT Complete 3.
Hello,
In a non-CO2 tank one really does not need to worry too much about frequency of fertilization. I think folks get this confused as we are mostly CO2 centric. Adding tiny amounts of nutrients once a week will be fine in a low light non-CO2 tank. The photo appears to show ADA Aquasoil, which is loaded with nutrition, so there is not much to add to that tank if that is the case.

Cheers,

Back