• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new Oase 175 Styline

Is there anyone around Doncaster area that would be willing and able to help me with my tank? I am willing to pay for expert advice.

I’m worried about cleaning the filter and pipes amongst other things. My other bristlenose has died now too which has threw me - im doing something wrong somewhere.

I’ve looked at YouTube videos for my filter but it doesn’t show how to remove the pipes from the tank end and they’re full of water. I’ve lost my confidence since I flooded the living room so I’ve not touched it other than clean the prefilter the other day but I held my breath all the way through ....

or can I pay for someone to talk me through it all and look closely at my tank and advise me via zoom or FaceTime maybe?

Sorry if this sounds a strange request but I’m really stuck

Big deep breath @Trakkajack - you don't need to be paying anyone. The Bristlenose issue, is likely the O2 and temp issues we've mentioned already. That Seriously Fish database site that I linked to previously, is my go to for looking up fish requirements - its a fantastic resource as it also often goes into depth on the fish's natural environment, and social behaviour etc. So just make sure you check that site for any fish you may look to add in the future, and/or post a list of potential acquisitions on here, there are some very knowledgeable fish experts on here.

In terms of your filter, there really isn't anything to worry about. I'm assuming you are still using the Oase 600?

To clean the filter, just turn it off (if you have the thermo version, turn the heater off too). Put down a few towels, and have a clean (as in no old cleaning fluid residues in them) empty bucket or two ready. Slide the locking lever across for the pipe inlet/outlet header, and remove it (might take a bit of wiggling to release the seals). This should have locked off the outlet and inlet pipes. If you really want to clean these (I never do), hold a bucket, and lift the filter inlet and outlet out of the tank and directly into a bucket. As you place the bucket on the floor, most of the water should start to run out of them and into the bucket. You can then disassemble and clean all the bits you want to.

Now slide the locking lever on the pre-filter, and remove as normal. Remove the heater if you have the thermo version of the filter, but check it is cool to the touch - if it's still hot, put it back in and wait a while for it to cool before removing fully.

Now undo the four clips and remove the filter head. You can remove and clean the impeller and impellor chamber if you feel so inclined. Again I rarely do.

Now just lift out each basket from inside the canister and clean it. You can do this by rinsing in a bucket of tank water for loose style filter media. For sponges squeeze them out in the bucket of water. Some folks even rinse them under a tap, on the basis it shouldn't significantly affect the bacterial population - personal choice that one. Personally though, I'm a bit lazy, so I just clean them in the water that's already in the canister. I just lift each basket, and give it a good shake in the water before placing them in a dry empty bucket.

Once you've removed all the baskets, pour the mucky water away, and give the canister a good rinse out. Then just put all the baskets back in, put the head unit back on and clamp it down, put the heater and (cleaned) prefilter back in and lock it off. Reassemble all your inlet and outlet pipework, and push the inlet/outlet header back in place and lock it off. Then its just a matter of priming the filter, turning everything back on, and you should be up and running again.

I personally find priming filters a pain - it never seems to work properly for me - so I always fill the the canister (and the pre-filter container) back up with water (to the original level when the baskets were removed) with a couple of drops of Seachem Prime, before adding the filter baskets back in and putting everything back together. You may still have to use the priming pump on the filter if the pipes are empty. If you haven't cleaned the pipes, and they are still full of water though, filling the canister and prefilter with water before re-assembling, should mean the filter starts back up without needing to use the priming pump. It may still need to purge some air, before it gets up to full speed, but it should do that without any intervention.

Ask any questions, and I'm sure either myself or other Oase users can assist (a lot of folks use them on this forum).

Ask any questions, and I'm sure either myself or other Oase users can assist (a lot of folks use them on this forum).
Thank you for your reply and patience .... I’ve got little white things squirming in my tank today and one of my otocinclus looks like it has something wrong with its anus - then I found a shrimp skeleton and don’t know if that died or shed so I feel like I’m doing something terribly wrong.

yes this site has been fantastic so deep breaths and gin needed!!

I fed my otocinclus some blanched shelled squashed peas and am hoping for the best but the amano eat bloomin everything so don’t know if the poor fish got any peas!!

Attachments

• 66392CA8-DB80-4FA0-91E7-A177FE9F16AC.jpeg
    66392CA8-DB80-4FA0-91E7-A177FE9F16AC.jpeg
    729.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 93196500-8416-4403-AE90-8FE12D3FEDE4.jpeg
    93196500-8416-4403-AE90-8FE12D3FEDE4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
  • 6B15A447-3D28-48BB-9B3C-31AE19325CD3.jpeg
    6B15A447-3D28-48BB-9B3C-31AE19325CD3.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 165
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That oto looks like it has dropsy, or organ failure as it really is. It causes a swelling of the body as the fish is unable to moderate the amount of water in its body. It looks a little bit atypical on species with hard outer scales like corys and ottos. This is usually caused by environmental factors outside of the fish, so not like a parasite. I wouldnt be surprised if it turns up dead quite soon :( Once they get to this stage it is usually too late to save them.

The shrimp shell is just a molt, a molt will look like an entire shrimp, legs, feelers, everything included but have no meat inside. The meat will turn pinkish white a little while after death so it is easy to tell the difference once you are familiar with it.

The white critter things are a little too blurry to make out a specific species but is also likely perfectly fine, you could google rhabdocoela, copepods or ostracods and see if any match the critters you see. A mature tank will have all manner of critters, but the populations of them may bloom in periods where your tank is getting settled or is experiencing instability.

Im sorry to hear you have had fish deaths. If practically possible, would you be able to do a 50% water change every day for a while? Its better than medicine sometimes, especially in cases where the tank is new and we suspect it might have something to do with that.

Sending good vibes 💓

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That oto looks like it has dropsy, or organ failure as it really is. It causes a swelling of the body as the fish is unable to moderate the amount of water in its body. It looks a little bit atypical on species with hard outer scales like corys and ottos. This is usually caused by environmental factors outside of the fish, so not like a parasite. I wouldnt be surprised if it turns up dead quite soon :( Once they get to this stage it is usually too late to save them.

Im sorry to hear you have had fish deaths. If practically possible, would you be able to do a 50% water change every day for a while? Its better than medicine sometimes, especially in cases where the tank is new and we suspect it might have something to do with that.

Sending good vibes 💓
Yes I can start doing the larger daily water changes again on most days probably. Thank you.

do dead fish sink or float? I always thought they floated (don’t know why) but my bristlenose sunk and I couldn’t see them. I’m bothered if the Oto dies and I don’t know. Will it cause a spike in the water if it’s left and decays or is eaten by the shrimp?

saw another shrimp shedding today. Thought omg my shrimp are dying now too so it’s good to know they are thriving and growing if nothing else is!
When I do a test the water is always fine so I just don’t know where I’m going wrong.

thank you for your advise and trying to help. It really is appreciated.

Most dead fish sink in my experience. They could cause a spike yes, so keep an eye out as much as possible.

Its a difficult position to be in, when the water tests dont show anything but the fish are struggling.
I do think changing your water often is the best bet, it usually is.

*An exception would be if you had mass deaths immediately following a waterchange, which could indicate that the water company did something to the tap.
But in most cases the tap is fine, and if we dont know whats wrong in the tank, water changes keeps things running until the problem can sort itself out, or give us more clues to go on :confused:

Most dead fish sink in my experience. They could cause a spike yes, so keep an eye out as much as possible.

Its a difficult position to be in, when the water tests dont show anything but the fish are struggling.
I do think changing your water often is the best bet, it usually is.

*An exception would be if you had mass deaths immediately following a waterchange, which could indicate that the water company did something to the tap.
But in most cases the tap is fine, and if we dont know whats wrong in the tank, water changes keeps things running until the problem can sort itself out, or give us more clues to go on :confused:
Did a 50% today. The Otto is still alive and undeterred by the submersible pump. The amano are doing zoomies around the tank since …. Good or bad?!
Saw another shrimp skin in there but can’t reach it so if nothing else I take it the amano are happy!!

if I put cherry shrimp in the tank once I feel it’s stable again would the discus eat them as I think they are very small. The amano I have are humongous….! No idea how big they get?!
By the way how do I clean these pipes? Scary ….!

Attachments

• 709E778A-BE83-4498-89FD-BEAE52F0DA0C.jpeg
    709E778A-BE83-4498-89FD-BEAE52F0DA0C.jpeg
    802.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 3FFD5677-08B6-4661-8581-42DE87016E4C.jpeg
    3FFD5677-08B6-4661-8581-42DE87016E4C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
One of these:

View attachment 170609

I have a long bottle brush thingy. I meant they are attached to the Oase pump ar one end and the soray bar at the other so if I turn the pump off and pull the tube out of the end that connects to the spray bar then I drain the water from within into a bucket will I be draining my water from the pump and if I put the bottle brush down the pipe will I be pushing the dirty gunk into my filter?

If you are talking about the oase filter:

• turn the heater off
  • Leave the filter running and wait a few minutes to ensure the water flowing over the heater has cooled it down
  • turn the filter off when you are sure the heater is cool

1623479776076.jpeg

• push the lever to the closed position (marked with the red arrow). It is in the open position in this photo, closed is to the right if I’ve remembered correctly
  • pull out the cassette for inlet and outlet pipes (marked in the green circle)

The water between your spraybar/inlet and the cassette is now locked off, it can’t escape from the cassette end so don’t worry.

Get a bucket, remove the spraybar/inlet from their suction cups, lift out of the tank and pour the water in the tubing/spraybar/inlet into the bucket, then take your pipes to where you want to clean them (sink or garden etc).

OR...

If you mean your internal pump... not quite sure how you have it set up @Trakkajack but I’m assuming the internal pump is connected to a spay bar...? The photo with Otto just shows an Oase internal pump and a pipe ascending upwards...

If it is just a pump with some tubing attached to a spray bar, pull the suction cups off the spraybar, vertically lift the lot and the water will drain out the pump as you lift. Take the lot out, clean, replace.

If you are talking about the oase filter:

• turn the heater off
  • Leave the filter running and wait a few minutes to ensure the water flowing over the heater has cooled it down

View attachment 170625
  • push the lever to the closed position (marked with the red arrow). It is in the open position in this photo, closed is to the right if I’ve remembered correctly
  • pull out the cassette for inlet and outlet pipes (marked in the green circle)

The water between your spraybar/inlet and the cassette is now locked off, it can’t escape from the cassette end so don’t worry.

Get a bucket, remove the spraybar/inlet from their suction cups, lift out of the tank and pour the water in the tubing/spraybar/inlet into the bucket, then take your pipes to where you want to clean them (sink or garden etc).

OR...

If you mean your internal pump... not quite sure how you have it set up @Trakkajack but I’m assuming the internal pump is connected to a spay bar...? The photo with Otto just shows an Oase internal pump and a pipe ascending upwards...

If it is just a pump with some tubing attached to a spray bar, pull the suction cups off the spraybar, vertically lift the lot and the water will drain out the pump as you lift. Take the lot out, clean, replace.
Thank you! The photo shows an Oase submersible pump which I put in to do my water changes. The Oase filter/heater is underneath in the cabinet. I did not know the thing with the pipes lifted off at the filter so thank you. I also didn’t know about turning the heater off and letting the water cool it for a few minutes. Makes total sense. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 138
One last thing @Trakkajack ...

If you ever want to pull the prefilter out to clean it you have to close off the lever for the inlet/outlet cassette first then the lever to release the prefilter second

1623669784347.jpeg

So....

• turn the heater off
  • push the lever to the closed position (marked with the red arrow number 1)
  • push the lever to the closed position (marked with the green arrow number 2).
  • pull out the prefilter cassette (marked with the yellow arrow number 3)
    1623670189567.jpeg
The prefilter cassette comes apart to reveal the sponges inside for cleaning:

1623670298612.jpeg

To put back together just reverse the order of the procedure.

One last thing @Trakkajack ...

If you ever want to pull the prefilter out to clean it you have to close off the lever for the inlet/outlet cassette first then the lever to release the prefilter second

View attachment 170701

So....

• turn the heater off
  • push the lever to the closed position (marked with the red arrow number 1)
  • push the lever to the closed position (marked with the green arrow number 2).
  • pull out the prefilter cassette (marked with the yellow arrow number 3) View attachment 170703
The prefilter cassette comes apart to reveal the sponges inside for cleaning:

View attachment 170704
To put back together just reverse the order of the procedure.
I cleaned my pre filter. Lots of muck! I don’t think I breathed all the way through it but now I’ve done it once I will feel better and more confident doing it again. Today I cleaned my air sponge, spray bar and the internal bit of the filter. The bit that hangs down at the back of the tank in the water. I tried to use a turkey blaster attached to a nose to syphon off much from the substrate as I puffed up the muck with the turkey baster. I was somewhat successful but pulled up a few plants and was worried about sucking up my amano so not too sure if I was doing it right. Watched a video last night by Aquarium Gardens where they did it. They made it look easy ha ha.

The plants in my tank are getting very leggy but no substance. I’ve not trimmed them as yet as I’m worried I will end up with nothing. I don’t have CO2. Should I just be brave and chop them all back? Will it encourage new growth? Can I just stick the chopped off bits back into the soil somewhere?
My otocinclus is still alive by the way! I put a few blanched peas in so whether that did the trick or not I have no idea ….

Attachments

• 2B1EF919-B6A2-4F2C-AAF3-FC2D80789ABF.jpeg
    2B1EF919-B6A2-4F2C-AAF3-FC2D80789ABF.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 149
The plants in my tank are getting very leggy but no substance. I’ve not trimmed them as yet as I’m worried I will end up with nothing. I don’t have CO2. Should I just be brave and chop them all back? Will it encourage new growth? Can I just stick the chopped off bits back into the soil somewhere?
My otocinclus is still alive by the way! I put a few blanched peas in so whether that did the trick or not I have no idea ….
Yes trim and replant the tops to get denser growth

I cleaned my pre filter. Lots of muck! I don’t think I breathed all the way through it but now I’ve done it once I will feel better and more confident doing it again.

It’s easy once it’s been explained, it is difficult to know what hasn’t been demonstrated. Going forward you’ll find you can do the prefilter quickly to keep gunk out of your main filter.

Yes trim and replant the tops to get denser growth
Thank you. I will give it a go. As I plant I tend to dislodge more than stay in ha ha. I’m sure there’s a knack to it that I haven’t acquired as yet!

It’s easy once it’s been explained, it is difficult to know what hasn’t been demonstrated. Going forward you’ll find you can do the prefilter quickly to keep gunk out of your main filter.
Yes I’m going to do it again at weekend. This tank and these fish are keeping me awake at night ha ha. I’m sure I will look back on it all and laugh once I stop stressing!!

As I plant I tend to dislodge more than stay in ha ha. I’m sure there’s a knack to it that I haven’t acquired as yet!
Yeah - especially for long straight stems. I reckon it takes me about 3 goes per stem to get them to stay in. Then I switch the filter back on and within 30 mins a handful are back out and floating around!

I reckon it takes me about 3 goes per stem to get them to stay in. Then I switch the filter back on and within 30 mins a handful are back out and floating around!
Oh I’m so glad it’s not just me!! Feel a bit better now about my failures ha ha

Also don't for a second think plants are dumb. They know what's going on and will work to thwart you. I started my tank last August in the middle of lockdown. Last week we had our first visitors inside the house since, um, February last year. The first people outside of immediate family to see my pride and joy. Yeah, you guessed it - the stems saw them coming, wilfully uprooted, and all started dancing around in the spraybar flow. D'oh!

Back