• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water Trickling Back into CO2 Lines

NotoriousENG

Noticed today that when my CO2 is on, I get a very faint drip of water out of the reactor back into the CO2 lines. Over a few seconds, this builds up till it's a "plug" which gets pushed back into the reactor by the gas. I don't recall seeing it before but may have missed it. It's causing my bubble count to fluctuate a bit so wanted to check if this is normal or okay? Video of the "plug" purge cycle below.

Do you have a non return/check valve fitted ? there should be one after the solenoid to prevent water getting in it, water after the check valve is normal
Yes I have one check after the needle valve and a second after the drop checker (water was coming out of the drop checker over night). When the co2 is off my lines fill back to the checks which I know is normal. I just never rembered seeing water in my lines with co2 on. No danger of it getting back to the regulator but it's making my bubble count vary with slow downs and random burst of bubbles.
8661ee374297eed2e059f29e628ece6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Hi
You mean the Bubble Counter!
Drop Checker goes in the aquarium to monitor Co2 levels;)
Those plastic check valves are not much good...they tend to fail.
Try moving the Check Valve just above the Bubble counter for the time being.
Purchase a couple of better quality valves like below.
1629489286152.png

hoggie

Hi
You mean the Bubble Counter!
Drop Checker goes in the aquarium to monitor Co2 levels;)
Those plastic check valves are not much good...they tend to fail.
Try moving the Check Valve just above the Bubble counter for the time being.
Purchase a couple of better quality valves like below.
View attachment 173352
hoggie
Ah yes I meant the bubble counter - been a long day of fighting with a defective return pump so my brain is a little fried.

I can certainly move the check valve closer to the bubble counter but will that help with the water trickling out of cerges reactor?

I did used to have the exact check valve you posted but had it fail on me quickly on my previous tank. These cheapo ones were recommended to me on another forum so I figured I'd give them a try. So far they've been working well but are functioning more as an air gap since they aren't spring loaded.

I did used to have the exact check valve you posted but had it fail on me quickly on my previous tank. These cheapo ones were recommended to me on another forum so I figured I'd give them a try. So far they've been working well but are functioning more as an air gap since they aren't spring loaded.
The problem with the one in your picture is they are meant for air and are not CO2 proof. I have had the rubber valve inside just crack and fall apart, as well as in some the rubber just melt and melt closed, as well as the plastic case leak due to high pressure of CO2. Been using the metal ones pictured and had no issues of water getting past them.

The problem with the one in your picture is they are meant for air and are not CO2 proof. I have had the rubber valve inside just crack and fall apart, as well as in some the rubber just melt and melt closed, as well as the plastic case leak due to high pressure of CO2. Been using the metal ones pictured and had no issues of water getting past them.
Ahh those kind of failures would not be good...

Does anyone happen to know the cracking pressure of the valves mentioned earlier in the thread? I found similar looking ones on Amazon but the reviews mentioned they have a high cracking pressure which could be a problem. My regulator maxes our at 25 psi and I typically run it around 15 psi to leave some head room.

I did find a few options from McMaster that look ideal that might be worth pursuing.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Back