• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IAPLC 2021 is open

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
For those interested in taking part the competition is open for submissions! If nothing else just to increase the UK numbers :)

iaplc.JPG

Has anyone else been following the results?

Quite an interesting selection this year, with new judges!

I still think they should have video's, otherwise the potential for Photoshop is more likely imo...

I agree, though I suspect a lot of the tanks would loose a much of their 'veneer' if viewed live, and many have likely been designed to be viewed with the head in vice. I couldn't see much in the top 27 to get excited about to be honest, many look far too 'manufactured' for my tastes.

I'm much more excited to see what crops up in BADC 2022 (as unfortunately there was no 2021 contest) - it must be my shifting tastes, but I find many of the videos of the BADC entries much more inspiring.

I agree, though I suspect a lot of the tanks would loose a much of their 'veneer' if viewed live, and many have likely been designed to be viewed with the head in vice. I couldn't see much in the top 27 to get excited about to be honest, many look far too 'manufactured' for my tastes.

I'm much more excited to see what crops up in BADC 2022 (as unfortunately there was no 2021 contest) - it must be my shifting tastes, but I find many of the videos of the BADC entries much more inspiring.
I've never heard of BADC, is it new?

I thought the standard was very good this year having seen the top 100 and be a bit odd if everyone agreed.

I thought the standard was very good this year having seen the top 100 and be a bit odd if everyone agreed.

It depends what you mean by 'standard' I guess, and of course it's ultimately a matter of taste.

Don't get me wrong, they're all incredibly accomplished from a technical standpoint - for many I literally have no idea how they achieve the incredible hardscape layouts. But from a purely aesthetic perspective most just look too fake to me. Looking at the first page on the IAPLC website showing the top 30 - I quite like numbers 27, 23, 20 and 14, but the rest just don't do it for me (and without wishing to be overtly mean, I've no idea how 30 and 16 are even in the top 100 - we have two entrants on this forum who's tanks were infinitely better).

It depends what you mean by 'standard' I guess, and of course it's ultimately a matter of taste.

Don't get me wrong, they're all incredibly accomplished from a technical standpoint - for many I literally have no idea how they achieve the incredible hardscape layouts. But from a purely aesthetic perspective most just look too fake to me. Looking at the first page on the IAPLC website showing the top 30 - I quite like numbers 27, 23, 20 and 14, but the rest just don't do it for me (and without wishing to be overtly mean, I've no idea how 30 and 16 are even in the top 100 - we have two entrants on this forum who's tanks were infinitely better).
I can't seem to access the page, can you please link me? I've seen the entries mostly over instagram and YouTube, but been trying to access the page itself with no luck!

Your right@Wookii it is all about personal opinion and taste.I am seeing more positive opinions about this year than previous . Standard was OC my personal opinion. As all the judges have thats why they choose different ones as personal best. Some of the ones in the top50 and above could well have been in the top27 for me without hesitation. Interestingly l am not that drawn to no16 either but Victor Lantos describes as one the best examples of well done dioramas scape. Victor one the best aquascapers around. I think ADA have tried to turn it around the judges reflect this l think Adam Paszcela and Yukka Homma(spelling might be wrong) who can argue there

Back