• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Potential CO2 shortage

lazybones51

It dawned on me this morning that the potential CO2 shortage will be a problem for those of us running high tech tanks. I know many of us use out of date FE's, the supply of which is unlikely to be affected in the short term. Those however that don't use FE's, do you keep any kind of backup for such a situation where you're not able to source a refill?

Hopefully its just industry scaremongering in an attempt to get the government to step in and subsidise them ~ subsidise gas prices, however if these big fertiliser (nitrogen) producing plants remain closed co2 might not be the only thing that becomes hard to come by for us aquarists.

Time to stock up on co2 extinguishers and ei salts me thinks 🤔

Last edited:
keep any kind of backup for such a situation where you're not able to source a refill?
I have two cylinders, one in use and one on standby. When one is empty I try and replace it fairly quickly but without a mad rush. The depot is several miles from where I live so we try and make a day of it by visiting places of interest.

This kind of behaviour is what creates the shortage of supply in the first place, hahaha :)
I just started using a new 5Kg last month, last one lasted a year! and have another 5Kg backup as always! so should be OK for a while :)

I think it's perhaps best to have a back up for your back up,..😬

IMG_4046 2.jpeg

This kind of behaviour is what creates the shortage of supply in the first place, hahaha :)

Indeed 😄

Anyway it looks like CF industries play a good hand of poker and production at their fertiliser plants will now resume.

"The government has struck a deal with fertiliser firm CF Industries to restart production at its UK sites in a bid to ensure availability of carbon dioxide for industries including the food sector.
The firm had closed two large fertiliser plants in Teesside and Cheshire."

Just lower the water within the tank so the plant leafs are above the water level - according the the climate experts there is too much Co2 with the atmosphere anyway

This advert make me laugh how can sea grass remove carbon when its under water I could understand it if it was above the water level - on the beach but it underwater same principle as we inject Co2 to help plant growth - so no wonder there a shortage if they are injecting Co2 into all the oceans.

If you’re worried about Co2 supply, cut your photoperiod back to six hours, then aerate at night to constantly top up o2 to make up for lessened o2 produced in the photoperiod. Aeration will carry your tanks through the eighteen hours of dark period and will be constantly topping up.

If you’re running eight hour photoperiods with eight hours of Co2 offset, reducing both to six saves 60 hours of gas per month.

Sound advice... God only knows what advice you were giving out during the bog roll shortage 🤪

One sheet to wipe up, one sheet to wipe down and one to polish… Three is the magic number.

Back