• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Fern at 82F or 28C

FishWorks

Hey All,

I want some Java Fern in my tank.
Just wondering if Java Fern can grow lush at a temperature of 82F or 28C?
I have read that its a tough plant but prefers cool water.
I ask because I also want some Cardinal Tetra in my tank, and these fish do well at 82F.

Thanks,
-Harry

Hi,
Not quite specifically answering your question but, I kept very long lived Cardinals at 25/26C for many years, at this temperature I grew all the plants (including Java Fern) that I would now grow at 23C.
The only reason I am no longer keeping them is because for the first time in keeping aquariums for almost 50 years I've gone over to an Asian rather than a S American themed tank.
Cheers!

Hey All,

I want some Java Fern in my tank.
Just wondering if Java Fern can grow lush at a temperature of 82F or 28C?
Yes, I have had good Java Fern growth at the less than ideal 80-82 F / 27-28 C. range.

I ask because I also want some Cardinal Tetra in my tank, and these fish do well at 82F.
82 F / 28 C is not necessary. Cardinals are routinely / normally found in natural water habitats that are 23-26 C. Currently I keep thriving (and huge) cardinals at 75F / 24C. I wouldn't go lower than 73F / 23C though.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Yes, I have had good Java Fern growth at the less than ideal 80-82 F / 27-28 C. range.

82 F / 28 C is not necessary. Cardinals are routinely / normally found in natural water habitats that are 23-26 C. Currently I keep thriving (and huge) cardinals at 75F / 24C. I wouldn't go lower than 73F / 23C though.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael,

Alright. So from my takeaway from all this right now, 82F or 28C is okay for most plants.
Ideal would be 75-77F or 24-25C. Some mosses are better optimized at 72F or 22C.

The Cardinal Tetra can live at 24-28C. They will thrive at 24-26C. Breeding temperature is at 28C, which is not necessary unless ofcourse if i was planning to breed them.

Would 82F be a good compromise temperature? Plants do fine(just adding more CO2 since ambient gas concentrations are lower from high temperatures) and Cardinals do well(they are healthy and will exhibit breeding behavior)?

I am also contemplating if I should set the temperature at 26C or 27C. Most websites say 23-27C for the cardinal tetra.

Last edited:
Michael,

Alright. So from my takeaway from all this right now, 82F or 28C is okay for most plants.
Ideal would be 75-77F or 24-25C. Some mosses are better optimized at 72F or 22C.

The Cardinal Tetra can live at 24-28C. They will thrive at 24-26C. Breeding temperature is at 28C, which is not necessary unless ofcourse if i was planning to breed them.

Would 82F be a good compromise temperature? Plants do fine(just adding more CO2 since ambient gas concentrations are lower from high temperatures) and Cardinals do well(they are healthy and will exhibit breeding behavior)?

I am also contemplating if I should set the temperature at 26C or 27C. Most websites say 23-27C for the cardinal tetra.
Go for the lowest temperature the fish will be happy with, as this will slow down all the processes in the tank and make it much easier to maintain. I have my tanks set to 23.5 degrees. I've never run a tank above 24 degrees and have cardinals and they ate thriving. The only time my tank goes above this range is in the summer time. This also mimics nature cardinals will not be in 26 degree weather year round in the wild

Go for the lowest temperature the fish will be happy with, as this will slow down all the processes in the tank and make it much easier to maintain.
Hi @Kevin Eades Agreed. Lower temp slows down metabolic rates, and the turnover of waste in the tank.
I have my tanks set to 23.5 degrees. I've never run a tank above 24 degrees and have cardinals and they ate thriving. The only time my tank goes above this range is in the summer time. This also mimics nature cardinals will not be in 26 degree weather year round in the wild
Yes the temperature in some of these river tributaries where Cardinals are found can wary quite a bit.

Cheers,
Michael

Also it's cheaper to run the tank which is more sustainable for the environment so there are multiple benefits of a lower tank temp

Back