• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help.... With identifying this probable fungi.

Kave_art_man

I say probable fungi but I really don’t know.
I did a google search and there wasn’t much that looked similar to mine but I saw a few on some different forums where the responses were it’s most likely a fungus of some sort but no one had a definite answer.
So I come to you guys and gals for any help that you can give to point me in the right direction.
1. Do you know what it is?
2. Should I get rid of it? - in terms treat it like a algae, I haven’t tried removing yet, as it quite intriguing
3. Is it harmful to my fish and ecosystem?
4. Could it be the roots from the redmoor wood, unlikely but that was my first impression.

I’ve been a long term reader of this forum since finding out about aquascaping at the start of this year and diving into it head first, I’ve got to say I’m hooked and plan in the future to do a write up in the journal section.
It’s a beautiful thing to find a new passion so I want to thank all of you who’s words and photos that have taught me along the way, still a long way to go but it’s all about the journey, am I right

P.s how can you edit the title of the tread, spelled fungi wrong 😀

Attachments

• EE3051BE-C02B-47DC-9886-2ADEBC785D47.jpeg
    EE3051BE-C02B-47DC-9886-2ADEBC785D47.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
  • 70ADD306-586F-464F-9393-BAC19F7AD715.jpeg
    70ADD306-586F-464F-9393-BAC19F7AD715.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 35AA7E2C-3A20-4C88-902B-A3B3C3CC60BA.jpeg
    35AA7E2C-3A20-4C88-902B-A3B3C3CC60BA.jpeg
    923.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 92910743-5DFC-422B-B888-8E0A3140AB49.jpeg
    92910743-5DFC-422B-B888-8E0A3140AB49.jpeg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Hi @Kave_art_man Are you only seeing the fungus on the wood? If so, how long have you had the wood in the tank? Fungus on relatively newly introduced wood is pretty common (what I have had was usually more grayish though) - it will go away eventually when the wood depletes the nutrients the fungus thrive on. Looks to me its on the woods only, so I wouldn't worry about it... You can try and brush it off with the toothbrush in the tank if it bothers you - don't wreak your scape though.

Nice Tank! 👍

Welcome to UKAPS! :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
P.s how can you edit the title of the tread, spelled fungi wrong 😀
Don't worry about it, everyone here understands what you mean. But if its important to you just click the Edit Thread menu item from the popup menu below - the menu is located at the top right corner on top of your post (only the thread starter and moderators can edit the thread name).

editthread.jpg

Cheers,
Michael

Hi
Bacteria growth is normal on most new wood that's not pre-soaked... it's usually a greyish/whitish jelly-like substance.
Use an old toothbrush to clean the wood and do a water change.
You can add Ramshorn snails....these will help clean your wood and help with various diatomic algae outbreaks!
The only thing you need to be aware of is, you will need to keep them in check as your tap water will be a great breeding ground environment.
hoggie

Yeah it’s only on the wood but it’s been in there since January and already gone through that white fuzzy fungus/bacteria stage that everyone seems to get, that came off easily with a bit of scrubbing and some diligent otto’s
I kinda like it!.. 😘 Really looks like an underwater mushroom... :)

Mushrooms are actually the fruitbodies of a fungus, they never live very long anyway.
This was my thinking but just wanted to see if anyone had something similar. It’s very peculiar looking, kinda like some black veins wrapped around the wood and then with the white tips to it

I have got some liquid carbon but haven’t used it at all, after learning about it from here and YouTube videos I understand it’s a algaecide and the less chemicals I use I think the better but if needs be it is there.

Whatever this is growing on the wood, I don’t necessarily want to get rid of it as it doesn’t look too bad to my eyes just trying to get a better understanding of what’s happening within the tank. Since this is my first tank, it’s been a real learning curve and I love everything bit of it, well except for the algae side of it 😀 YouTube has been a gold mine for learning along with this forum

Hi all,

I wonder if it is <"Bryozoan">? Whatever it is it is harmless.

My suggestion is just ignore it. If it stays you've got a talking point.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel from the looks of it, it doesn’t quite look like the bryozoan photo in that tread but then that’s the first time I’ve heard of it and I don’t know at what stage mine is at, so it could grow in to look like that. I first noticed it about a month or so ago.

Yeah that’s my stance at the moment just wait and observe, it doesn’t seem to affecting the fish or shrimp so we’ll just see how it goes.
Thank you all the replies

I had a very similar growth on some redmoor wood in a tank about 6 months in it just appeared. I scrubbed it off and never came back. I also couldn't find a match online anywhere for what it could be either. Forgot about it in the end as never saw it again

I had a very similar growth on some redmoor wood in a tank about 6 months in it just appeared. I scrubbed it off and never came back. I also couldn't find a match online anywhere for what it could be either. Forgot about it in the end as never saw it again
Yeah it’s funny how with so many of us and around the world using redmoor wood, I couldn’t find a specific name for this fungi, if it even is a fungi. The closest I got was seeing photos by a couple of people with the same thing but no one could name it in those forums as well
For now I think the plan of action is to leave it to do it’s thing unless it gets out of control and just monitor it

Back