• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moving shrimps to the new home. How?

MrClockOff

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well

I’m about to plant my new fish tank and once it’s ready to accommodate any fauna (hopefully quite soon after planting) I will move gradually all my fish and shrimps from my old aquarium into new one.

I’m pretty much confident in netting all fish out as I know the exact number of fishes. But how to get out all “N” red cherry shrimps and 4 amanos from heavily planted and slightly overgrown fish tank? I don’t have any clue..

I’m happy to DIY if there are any straightforward solutions. If anyone came across to similar task please come forward. I need you help 🙏

Cheers 🌱

Apart from destroying the tank which I have done many many times now to collect my shrimp to take to the LFS I drop in a lump of blanched pumpkin. Place the pumpkin in your net laying on the substrate or bend the nets handle at 90 degrees that works even better and give it an hour or less and they will flock to it like there is no tomorrow. Then slowly raise the net gently so the pumpkin doesn't squash your shrimp. Then into a bowl and aclamatise them to your new tank. Even some other vegetable works just as well but they certainly have a preference to pumpkin.

I do the same as above... Feed and trap. You have to do it several times over several days to get all the shrimp out, and will catch the last tiny ones in a few weeks when the babies are big enough to be seen and caught.

I use a bottle trap - takes a few days but it’s the least painful method I’ve found.

Also works very well for getting rid of snails.

I use a bottle trap - takes a few days but it’s the least painful method I’ve found.

Also works very well for getting rid of snails.
Hi @Garuf, How does this actually work - do you need a special bottle? I get the snail part of it, but I think the shrimps (my super smart shrimps at least :lol:) would figure out to get out of there. Just curious :)

Bottle trap for me too. I used to use the same method to catch bait fish 😅

Cut the top off one of them dinky coke bottles, flip it round and then push it in on itself. Then take the cap and cut down the middle with a razor saw and then slice one side off as to reduce the mouth opening by half.

Place in the tank either vertically or horizontally (different sp seem more likely to be trapped by each orientation but I could be imagining that) and add bate of shrimps favourite food.

Attachments

• 05C14264-1DB1-4D0F-9A53-778C81DC39F2.jpeg
    05C14264-1DB1-4D0F-9A53-778C81DC39F2.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 103
Cut the top off one of them dinky coke bottles, flip it round and then push it in on itself. Then take the cap and cut down the middle with a razor saw and then slice one side off as to reduce the mouth opening by half.

Place in the tank either vertically or horizontally (different sp seem more likely to be trapped by each orientation but I could be imagining that) and add bate of shrimps favourite food.
Thanks a lot. Love DIY 😬👍

This is what I do too - and I use it to catch the fish in my heavily planted tank when rescaping - it's very effective, and much easier than chasing them round with nets. I've glued some plant weights onto the outside of mine to hold it down, and made two hangers from fishing line (one at either end) so I can suspend the trap mid-water when required also (easier for catching surface dwellers like chillis etc).

I've only ever destroyed tanks to get them all, and even caught some in the last few cm of dirty water that was left a few days without light/heat/filter. Good luck, I hope the bottle thing works! :) If I ever need to move them without breaking down a tank, I'll be sure to try that too.

I've only ever destroyed tanks to get them all, and even caught some in the last few cm of dirty water that was left a few days without light/heat/filter. Good luck, I hope the bottle thing works! :) If I ever need to move them without breaking down a tank, I'll be sure to try that too.
Yeah, same. Shrimp seem to end up in all my water, in side filters, in buckets, jars you dump plants in to convert to emersed, your wabi Kusa bowl… I once found one in the saucer of one of my house plants happily going about it’s business.
They seem to fall into two camps, either look at them funny and they drop dead or they’re so tough they’d take a knife to a gun fight and win.

Back