• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant on Sand

Fred13

Hello,
My tank is almost ready and it is the first time I am going to use sand in a planted tank.
My aquarium is 330 liters with lightning units of medium intensity and co2.
I use a medium grain (0.08-1.2) sand and I am looking forward to make an appealing nature aquarium without soil. Instead, I am focusing in South America and I will probably use plants only from that region. However, I dont really like heavy rooters so I will avoid any plants such as java ferns and echinodorus.

I have evenly spread tropica balls ( from the capsules) into the substrate and I have purchased some easy life sticks , which are basically clay, to place them next to plants.
I will for sure start liquid fertilization from day 1 , with an AIO and I will adopt the doses accordingly or change to an EI schedule if needed.
My question is if I can do something more for the substrate. Like putting some lava rock underneath or other nutrients.

The clay and tropica fert capsules are plenty for now. You could do a layer of crushed lace rock or pumice on the bottom if you’d like, it will help with keeping the lower levels of your substrate from getting compacted.

The clay and tropica fert capsules are plenty for now. You could do a layer of crushed lace rock or pumice on the bottom if you’d like, it will help with keeping the lower levels of your substrate from getting compacted.
That is something I have also thought about.
Do you suggest putting some lava rock like JBL basis substrate in filter bags and then underneath?
My only concern is that I have already spread the tropica capsules on the first layer of the sand .

You can do that if you want for easy removal in the future, either or will work. So what your saying is you already put sand down and now your questioning using the rock underneath? unless you have a ton of sand id just remove it, put the rock down, then just dump the sand with the ferts on top and let it mix. Then add your last layer of sand.

Back