• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What’s causing this leaf damage?

andy198712

Hi,

Tanks is 200l well established over a year
Fluval 307
2500l wave maker
EI starter kit adding 25mls per day with a rest day
Easy carbo at 8ml per day
Water temp 25*
7hrs light period
50% weekly water change

Just recently this plant has started getting this damage on the leaves?
Can’t tell if there being eaten or?

No other plants in the aquarium have this on them.

I have two rams horn snails but it started a few weeks before I got them.
Amino shrimp
Various fish

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 6EEFEFA2-22DA-4A9D-8C55-1F133361E081.jpeg
    6EEFEFA2-22DA-4A9D-8C55-1F133361E081.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 221
  • 28D8CB48-4D93-418C-A2B2-D6AE6A7CACCE.jpeg
    28D8CB48-4D93-418C-A2B2-D6AE6A7CACCE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
How's the rest of the plants looking?

It's fairly easy for me to suggest the hygrophila polysperma is struggling due go lack of CO2, probably induced by your lights being to bright (intensity to high) but seeing as its nearly Christmas I'll give you the benefit of doubt 😉.

What's the lightning above this tank, make, model or wattage? Also a full tank shot would be super helpful.

Last edited:
How's the rest of the plants looking?

It's fairly easy for me to suggest the hygrophila polysperma is struggling due go lack of CO2, probably induced by your lights being to bright (intensity to high) but seeing as its nearly Christmas I'll give you the benefit of doubt 😉.

What's the lightning above this tank, make, model or wattage? Also a full tank shot would be super helpful.
Hi,
Cheers for the reply, so the rest of the plants are looking good IMO just your basics, Anubis, ferns and moss ect

I do think about upping the liquid co2 but I’m already at max recommended on the bottle?
Next year once we move house I’ll do pressurised but can’t just yet.

It’s the leddy 14w led, single tube, I have two but only use one at the min as I was tackling algae a while ago.

The moss has just broken free but here it is today

Attachments

• 243D7FFB-68B5-478B-A814-78D3EA88DB9E.jpeg
    243D7FFB-68B5-478B-A814-78D3EA88DB9E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 134
Possibly, but I suspect the leaves were suffering way before the amano's got involved.
I’d started to notice some pin holes, and the growth was stunted. So switched to the EI about a month or so ago and noticed the growth started again which was nice.
I’m doing 25ml a day which isn’t full dose but I’m only on liquid co2

Looks consistent with damage from fish, they look very much like peck marks to me.
What fish do you have ?
So I have guppies which do peck at plants Ive noticed.
Tetras which don’t seem to care
Pleco which doesn’t touch those ones
Clown loaches (literally just watched one peck at it which I’ve not seen before?!!)
SAE
Amano shrimp and just added a couple ramshorn snails but that was after the damage started.
I have noticed a very small pair of snails in the tank that must have been free loaders but I thought they were rams but there only 2mm so any confirm.

Cheers :)

Plants on the left look healthy, plants on the right don't. It's no coincidence that the left side is shielded by floating plants, the right side isn't!
Maybe amano shrimp only eat in bright light 😉

Embrace the freeloader snails, they'll help your tank 😀

Plants on the left look healthy, plants on the right don't. It's no coincidence that the left side is shielded by floating plants, the right side isn't!
Maybe amano shrimp only eat in bright light 😉

Embrace the freeloader snails, they'll help your tank 😀
Yeah my left hand ones are some what lower light plants so I have a ring of floaters on that side to help. Which seems to work well for them?
On the right, the front right, those plants just aren’t growing and look sad. That plant in the back right, been kinda slow till I went to EI and upped the light, then it started growing again. Which became tastey apparently!
The stem plant in the back does grow well.

I did have a good bed of reopens but they got taken out as they were covered with BBA but that’s now more I’m check.

Yeah I planning on buying about 25 more ramshorn snails off eBay, paid £3 per snail for these two….

This morning I have watched a baby clown loach picking at that one plant for ages….. seems it must be him! He’s the only one and it’s only that plant…… so I guess I’ll have to deal with it till that phase passes!

Yes that’s classic loach damage, unfortunately it’s likely to get worse as the fish grows.
I do have 3 older ones that are well behaved but we’ll see! Brought some more plants today hopefully they don’t taste as nice!

It tends to be the broader and softer leaves that loach will go for. Keeping them well fed will help, but only to some degree unfortunately.

It tends to be the broader and softer leaves that loach will go for. Keeping them well fed will help, but only to some degree unfortunately.
there's enjoying a slice of cucumber i just put in, wondering if feeding them more vegetables is a good thing or not.... normally sinking pellets and blood worms

Clown loaches (literally just watched one peck at it which I’ve not seen before?!!)
Definitely clown loach damage. I’ve had them even put holes in anubias, seems like they do it more for fun though as no plant is consumed. Just lots of semi circular bite marks.

Back