• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone help me with this

@Conort2
All my other rainbow fish are doing really well always hungry and swimming around the tank but for the past month now I have noticed them going eye to eye with each other and doing this for a wile until one backs off I don’t know if this is due to matting or aggression for there space in the tank for breeding. They have also been strange i guess but only follow me around the tank they know who feeds them but it’s strange. I have a feeling that I’m going to loose them but there eating well swimming with the others just crossing my fingers that it all heals well

So should I keep daily treating with the esha 2000
Or try a different medicine if so what would be the best one for my current situation without removing the rainbow fish

The first picture on this thread show what look like physical damage to me as well, like miranda mentions. You can see the pectoral fin has damage and so does the mouth, suggesting it's been stuck. It would be very unlucky to get two fish have the same injury at the same time but maybe you have an area where food gathers that they can't resist sticking their heads in. A little bit of violent thrashing to get out and the scales get ripped off.
If the injuries are deep they can take some time to heal. I had a clown loach that took a chunk out of its head recently and it wasn't as deep as yours but it was red and sore for a couple of weeks but has now healed over. I just maintained water quality through wc's and added some alder cones to help. If you watch them closely and you are sure it's not getting worse, then sometimes doing nothing can be best.

It might be my eyes but in the later pics it looks like the skin is beginning to heal over, so they might fix themselves with just good husbandry, although cautious dosing of something to help, like advised above can help.

@MirandaB where would I be able to purchase some myxazin from ? As I don’t believe I have used this before in any of my aquariums as not had this before.

In my tank I mainly have
Rainbow fish
1x bristle nose pleco
5x otocinclus
6x sterbai corydoras
5x pepper corydoras
You could contact Waterlife on internet for nearest retailer

New photos taken this morning

Attachments

• 89569A1C-080C-4EF4-91DA-C0A5855F1DFA.jpeg
    89569A1C-080C-4EF4-91DA-C0A5855F1DFA.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 138
Just a quick question if the fish do have a parasite 🦠 is it Likely that the other rainbow fish will catch it as I seriously don’t want that to happen. Atm they look well and feeding well bright in colour I understand it’s gonna take a wile for them to be back to there full self as wasn’t expecting it to happen over night even tho that would be nice hehe 🙃 I shall keep an eye if they suddenly go of there food or staying dormant at the bottom of the tank keeping you all informed with there progress (thanks to everyone for the advice and guidance much appreciated)

Hope I didn't scare you with the columnaris business, its a nasty thing and I hope its anything else, I would be very happy to be wrong in this case :thumbup: You've got some good advice from these experienced aquarists so follow their lead. Keep us updated :)

Just thought I would do an update as it’s been a wile since my last comment

I have been daily treating with esha 200 but today have knoticed not much of an improvement one of the rainbows has now lost all colouration but is still eating but starting now to be a bit dormant at the top of the tank as photo shows only when no food is in the tank the other rainbow fish seem to be round him/her most of the day checking up if that makes sense I’m not holding out for the outcome as I’m doing as much as I can with the amount of information given and researched

I have provided photos below with the other rainbow fish with the same situation but still eating and swimming with the others and has colour

Attachments

• 37D4D0DC-5A4A-4ED4-9D9B-DCA3285722CE.jpeg
    37D4D0DC-5A4A-4ED4-9D9B-DCA3285722CE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
  • D7CFEE53-36EC-445C-8B7C-3499410C2D15.jpeg
    D7CFEE53-36EC-445C-8B7C-3499410C2D15.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • A0DD55B7-1552-42A6-BD3D-20CCFD1FF154.jpeg
    A0DD55B7-1552-42A6-BD3D-20CCFD1FF154.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
Just taken two close up photos

Attachments

• F9334D9C-FFBA-48EB-A5A0-ECC2D7ACDAB0.jpeg
    F9334D9C-FFBA-48EB-A5A0-ECC2D7ACDAB0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 100
  • CBCC062E-55A2-408D-AA7B-B67FCAEC7424.jpeg
    CBCC062E-55A2-408D-AA7B-B67FCAEC7424.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
Looks like ulcers and given it’s location I can see why Columnaris has been suggested what ever it is you have my pitty. I’ve been battling a contagious ulcer outbreak with me eye wateringly expensive Japanese Top View Ranchu youngsters for 5 months and only just got on top of it, loosing 5 out of 20 fish.

I’ll detail what worked with me after trying practically every commonly available ulcer treatment on the market in the uk with no luck at all.

I did a fluke and external parasite treatment to rule them out first then purchased Kusuri 8-Piece Topical Treatment Kit for ulcers. (Great for debriding the ulcers, cleaning the wound and sealing)
For details see: 8-Piece Topical Treatment Kit - Kusuri Products

Antibiotic’s I tried both gam neg and gram positive. Seachem Kanaplex Aquarium Fish Medication Treatment has been most effective… which I had to buy abroad.

Once I had cleaned the wounds and did two full courses of antibiotic medicating the whole tank with Kanaplex I then did 100% water change and used good old Melafix (it’s been surprisingly effective) in conjunction with mixing the antibiotics with fish food pellets. To make it ‘fix’ to the food I mixed the food and meds with Seachem Focus but a little veg oil worked really well too (fish vet on YouTube little trick) I’d make up enough food to last a week and fed three times a day till ulcers disappeared, which was only two weeks, then a extra week to make sure. These were really deep ulcer so we’re never going to heal fast.

Increasing the hardness and ph was also recommend as ulcers are more common in low ph environments and my tank was neutral with soft water.

Good luck, ulcers are a nightmare!

Back