• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster 350 Thermo - Flow too strong?

SOulGirL

Hi everyone,

just got this filter a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering if anyone with a 60p finds it has too strong of a flow?
I am using a reducer with 13mm Lily pipes but even still the plants are really swaying...
Waiting for your feedback! Thanks ;)

Hi, sure. Just need to turn the lights on....sec please :)

Don't have many plants now on the left or back left cause it was a lot worse on those, but you can notice the rotala in the back really swaying and it was a lot more violent when I had more plants in that area of course.
Also, notice the trembling of the lily pipe, never had this before lol. Guess the filter is too strong. You can notice this better in the 2nd video.
I was thinking of getting a Eheim tap to reduce the outflow a bit so I can make it a bit more smooth. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

Video 1:

Video 2:

Hi
Im not using the Oase 350 but your flow seems good to me and not too strong at all.
Have in mind that once plants grow in they will reduce the flow a little too.
Regards Konstantin

Flow looks good to me, could do with a few more fast growing stems, even if only a temporary measure.
Cheers!
Looks a lot softer than it is because the left zone is now pretty empty, cause believe me, it was way stronger on the plants in that left area.
Been having a lot of issues with the plants and already lost a bunch of them, so not gonna invest anymore until I see some improvements in the ones I still have. Thanks for your input!

Hi
Im not using the Oase 350 but your flow seems good to me and not too strong at all.
Have in mind that once plants grow in they will reduce the flow a little too.
Regards Konstantin
Hi, wish you could have seen it when I still had the plants in there. They were bending to the flow, not really gently swaying. :oops:
I know they will reduce the flow once they grow, but the thing is that especially the left middle and back ones were really getting bashed, lol.
Something I think is also contributing to the strong flow is that the outflow pipe is reduced cause I'm using 13mm lily pipe there, so...the water comes out of it with even more strength.

You can see in this picture, the plants that were most affected by the strong flow. I placed some arrows to indicate what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 187
Hi
I keep SAP Puffers and they like flow so my tanks are quite turbulent. Never bothered my plants tbh.
I understand that you are frustrated atm and doubt everything but more likely is that your troubles are due to immature substrate lacking microbal colonies, low or fluctuating CO2 and strong light.
Its worth to try to get some cheap(free) easy fast growing stems cuttings from felow hobbyist and some floating plants just to bump the plant mass.You can remove those later once tank matures. Did you lower the light and try to tune the CO2?

Regards Konstantin

Hi
I keep SAP Puffers and they like flow so my tanks are quite turbulent. Never bothered my plants tbh.
I understand that you are frustrated atm and doubt everything but more likely is that your troubles are due to immature substrate lacking microbal colonies, low or fluctuating CO2 and strong light.
Its worth to try to get some cheap(free) easy fast growing stems cuttings from felow hobbyist and some floating plants just to bump the plant mass.You can remove those later once tank matures. Did you lower the light and try to tune the CO2?

Regards Konstantin
Indeed frustrated I am... :(
I did lower the light and increased the co2 but most of the plants were too far gone I'm afraid...
Starting to lose hope with this tank to be honest.

Hi
Unfortunately the changes you made will require a little time to have effect as the plants will need to adapt to those.Keep removing the debris you see and stick to your maintenance.
If you are in UK PM me your details and I will send you some floating plants and whatever I can trim out of my low tech.It won't be much but will help to increase the plant mass in the tank.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
Oh that is very kind of you, but I am actually in Portugal.
I do realize that it takes time to notice any difference, but it does affect you when you put so much money and heart into something, only to have it fail... 🥲
The only good thing I have going is that I have no fish yet, and that makes me feel a little bit more relaxed. Wouldn't dare to experiment too much if I had any life inside the aquarium.

Actually, I do have a little fellow there that I couldnt bring myself to toss away. Guess he is one of the so called "pest snails"?

Attachments

• IMG_7290.jpg
    IMG_7290.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 197
As above, the flow looks good to me, I have more flow going through a 40 ltr tank to just give an example, and it hasn't had any effect on plants, if anything I have thought about adding more when the plants were really overgrown.

Patience is key in this hobby (and that is coming from someone with virtually 0 myself). Keep the co2 high and bring the lights right down, this will give you some breathing room if you are having algae issues etc time, and if your still not happy with the flow, maybe a spraybar would be a good idea?

As above, the flow looks good to me, I have more flow going through a 40 ltr tank to just give an example, and it hasn't had any effect on plants, if anything I have thought about adding more when the plants were really overgrown.

Patience is key in this hobby (and that is coming from someone with virtually 0 myself). Keep the co2 high and bring the lights right down, this will give you some breathing room if you are having algae issues etc time, and if your still not happy with the flow, maybe a spraybar would be a good idea?
Well, in that case I guess I'm gonna leave it as is. Guess I'm overconcerned for nothing really...
I was just worried that the flow being too strong could be hurting the plants instead of being a good thing.

Looks like a pond snail, lots would say a pest but i don't mind snails and have tons in all my tanks, they will help clear up debris and decaying plant matter etc
Yeah I think he is super cute and just couldn't remove the poor thing from there. He has been through a lot as the tank cycled and still he resisted hehe

Don't have many plants now on the left or back left cause it was a lot worse on those, but you can notice the rotala in the back really swaying and it was a lot more violent when I had more plants in that area of course.
Flow looks ok to me. The plants won't be bothered and may even develop better root systems in response.

Flow looks ok to me. The plants won't be bothered and may even develop better root systems in response.
Guess I'll just leave it then. Several people say that the flow is good as it is, so who am I to doubt you all? :) Thanks for the help!

Back