• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Johns 6' Discus tank

After looking at tank for a few minutes i got to thinking about adding some other fish besides Discus. Ive never really had other fish before with Discus as Discus are my pride and joy, although i do have a pair of albino Angel fish with these Discus, I've seen some Harlequin Rasbora and i must say they would look lovely with my Discus and the copper colour would really go with the green of the plants, so i think thats what i will look at today when i go visit my lfs.

So 3 and half hours later, my tank is finally planted.
View attachment 185127View attachment 185128View attachment 185129View attachment 185130View attachment 185131View attachment 185132View attachment 185133

Its not going to win any aquascaping awards but thats not why i went planted and i'm happy with it, so lets hope i can keep it looking as nice as it does now

Great stuff - it looks instantly better!

Be aware your crypts may melt as they lose their leaves in order to transition to submerged life - just remove any melting leaves when you see them - new growth should soon start pushing through.

My dry salts starter kit just came from APF so ive mixed up 500 ml of each as per instruction. I'm thinking of starting with half the recommended dosage as i dont have co2 or strong light yet.
Having to dose 120ml 3 times a week seems alot to me (I could be wrong)

Cant believe its took this long to even think about a planted tank, let alone have one, it has made a huge difference to my tank, even though the Discus will always be my priority over the plants.
I am even considering turning my reef tank into a planted tank.

I'd probably think 25% would be ample for low tech. You could always start at 50% and reduce the dosage after a few weeks providing you don't see any nutrient related plant issues.
Do you think its better to start low and build up or start high and reduce?

Went to lfs to pick up harlequins but only had 6 so i ordered 24 which should be here next week.
Ive ordered some more substrate aswell as a couple of the swords are floating as its not deep enough.
Also some of the sword leaves have developed brown tips, any idea what this means?

If you can post some pictures others will confirm but normally it's because they are starting to transition from being grown emersed to submersed growth. You can get some dieback but eventually when they are used to growing underwater they will take off.

If you can post some pictures others will confirm but normally it's because they are starting to transition from being grown emersed to submersed growth. You can get some dieback but eventually when they are used to growing underwater they will take off.
Lights are out at the minute so will get some pics up when lights come on tomorrow.
They was only put in on Saturday so that could be the answer, thanks

Cant believe its took this long to even think about a planted tank, let alone have one, it has made a huge difference to my tank, even though the Discus will always be my priority over the plants.
I am even considering turning my reef tank into a planted tank.
As you know I’ve closed mine down, the instant weight that’s lifted is refreshing.

How’s the plants holding up with the heat of your tank?

The plants were chosen specifically for a high temperature environment, or so i was told, this is my first foray into the planted world so i have a lot to learn about the planted side of things.
I think why i like planted tanks better (now i have one) is that i can chop and change the plants to suit me and basically leave it to do its own thing, whereas my reef tank im bored of it, nothing changes with it and the prices of corals are an absolute no no for me anymore.

The plants were chosen specifically for a high temperature environment, or so i was told, this is my first foray into the planted world so i have a lot to learn about the planted side of things.
I think why i like planted tanks better (now i have one) is that i can chop and change the plants to suit me and basically leave it to do its own thing, whereas my reef tank im bored of it, nothing changes with it and the prices of corals are an absolute no no for me anymore.
Big part of my reasoning for leaving. I can’t stomach the prices anymore. I’ve spent the best part of 10k the past year (partly because I change my mind like a the weather)
But mostly the rising cost of corals and fish is just extortion. Even between hobbyist they’re all out to make a few quid.

Back