• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinions please on why differing plant growth rate s

Can’t work out why the one stem of this plant is really flourishing when all others are making little or no progress. There is a flow in the tank and the Java moss is also racing away and needs frequent pruning
2216b287f6e6bd670d5ed79e31a4c641.jpg

- thanks
c648deca40ba6c2fc285d527e8fbd2a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because that plant has to spend all its energy delivering nutrients up and down that old stem. if you trim and replant the healthy bit it will grow much faster

because that plant has to spend all its energy delivering nutrients up and down that old stem. if you trim and replant the healthy bit it will grow much faster

Thanks, but what I am comparing is the growth of a plant stem on one photo (it is rooted in the substrate out of shot) compared to the other photo where the same type of plant has virtually stalled.

Java Fern is not a nutrient hog. What's your tank CO2 0r non CO2. Some details about the set up?

60ltr. CO2 injection and Aquagro lighting and Fluval power filter. Weekly partial water change. Thanks

NB: Java moss, not fern

My mistake you did say Java Moss . Thinking maybe the flow not getting to all areas and the growing stem is recieving CO2 and nutrients. Flow has to be right with CO2 . Maybe try a small powerhead to see if any better

Hi all,
Thanks, but what I am comparing is the growth of a plant stem on one photo (it is rooted in the substrate out of shot) compared to the other photo where the same type of plant has virtually stalled.
They look OK health wise. It could be light or CO2. What nutrients are you giving them?

cheers Darrel

I use CO2 Supermarket All in One fert. Starting to think and agree it may well be a circulation issue. A small power head might benefit. Happy to receive any recommendation of brand to look at. Thanks

I always use cheap APS ones seem to do the job and very cheap. Better quality just look for good name . You don't need anything too powerful IMO just something which give additional flow water movement

My mistake you did say Java Moss . Thinking maybe the flow not getting to all areas and the growing stem is recieving CO2 and nutrients. Flow has to be right with CO2 . Maybe try a small powerhead to see if any better
Update: Power head now added and there is an improvement in the plants appearance and growth.

Incidentally, does the solution in a dropper checker have a finite life? Where is the best place to buy it (not interested in making my own for such a small volume)

Thanks

Not sure about the finite life but mine from AEssentials has lasted ages. Tend to not change drop checker fluid often . Most places check CO2 Art and the sponsers will have it premixed with 4dKH . I would have a couple of drop checkers at low at different ends of the tank .

Back