• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please tell me what algae this is

Becksy

Hiya people.
please can you tell me what algae this is please. I’m taking a bucket a day out of my p 60 tank a day. 🤪

Attachments

• 5D242EE8-422B-49F3-AC17-756138A8D4FC.jpeg
    5D242EE8-422B-49F3-AC17-756138A8D4FC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 221
Looks like diatoms (brown) algae to this novice.
Algae guide
How long has your tank been setup?

Best way to get rid of it is to get some Bladder and Ramshorn snails. But if it is a new setup then it is normal.

Maybe if you put all the details of your setup, then one of the experts will see something else that is out of kilter.

"Pump size and flow rate, Substrate, Age of setup, Temp, Lighting, Lighting period, number and type of plants, Fertilizer type and dosing, CO₂ or not, Fish types or none and probably other things I have missed".

Hope that puts you on the right track to solve your algae issue (I find it very disheartening when you spend hours setting up and then the dreaded algae outbreak happens).

People want to help but often wait for someone with maybe more knowledge first. Questions are rarely ignored you can reask if you feel it's been missed. From what l see it might not be algae but diatoms which removing what you can as you are doing, increase or keep up water changes. Common in a anything up to a few month old set up . A few algae eaters shrimp /fish will help

Looks like diatoms (brown) algae to this novice.
Algae guide
How long has your tank been setup?

Best way to get rid of it is to get some Bladder and Ramshorn snails. But if it is a new setup then it is normal.

Maybe if you put all the details of your setup, then one of the experts will see something else that is out of kilter.

"Pump size and flow rate, Substrate, Age of setup, Temp, Lighting, Lighting period, number and type of plants, Fertilizer type and dosing, CO₂ or not, Fish types or none and probably other things I have missed".

Hope that puts you on the right track to solve your algae issue (I find it very disheartening when you spend hours setting up and then the dreaded algae outbreak happens).
Hello grumpy

Thank you for your reply. I just wanted an id on the type of algae it is to confirm my own thoughts. But listen I totally understand your point. So I’ll list my set up to help. My shrimp and catfish don’t touch this algae. I also have green string like algae too. It’s all so frustrating.

60 p tank
co2 9 hours a day at 4 drops a sec
350 thermo filter oases
temperature is at 22
4 amano shrimp
3 catfish
tank has been planted for 40 days now
ADA light for 6 hours a day.

That is still a pretty immature tank. Diatom algae are very common in new/immature tanks they will eventually fade away - keep up the maintenance and keep the tank stable.

Cheers,
Michael
Thank you. Will shrimp eat the type of algae?

I will just go in time, just keep up the water changes and maintenance.

For future reference, If you're planning a rescape, try a dark start. I've tried it once and hardly had any diatoms, and it saves you doing all the water changes during the first month.

As others said, 40 days is pretty early on for a new tank. What
67 view and not one person wants to help. Great group of people 👍🏻
We all want to help, but sometimes helping means not tell you things might prove to be either incorrect or not useful.
Could you provide a close-up picture of the algae in question, and also please a picture of the entire tank? 40 days is early-going for a new tank and depending on how things look overall and how things are progressing, the best course of action might prove to be "keep doing what you're doing for another 40 days". Amanos are awesome and the usual guidance is 1 shrimp per 5L water so you could comfortably add another 5-10 amanos.

Back