• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mosses that do or don't attach to Hardscapes!

How does this thread handle disagreement I wonder

I guess when someone experiences and can show the contrary... :)

And then it still could somebody says you don't have the moss you thought you have. Happened to me I bought a batch of alleged Christmas moss from a shop that specialized in aquatic mosses and months later I happily showed a picture and somebody said: "Don't know what it is but it ain't Christmas moss..." Now, what actually is Christmass moss? It's a fantasy name for Vesicularia montagnei. Since bryologists are very rare and seemingly there are a number of mosses that look alike with minor differences at certain stages of life or other circumstances that one would not only need the knowledge but also need a microscope to determine what is what. Mosses are versatile, it could be the same species that show different characteristics and vice versa while growing under different parameters. So we might have a lot of moss floating around with a beautiful name but incorrect ID, who knows? In most cases, it's don't argue with the label or compare pictures and pick a name that comes closest and go with that...

Then there is a tad of an issue in the vivarium hobbies with sharing experiences as exact universal facts. Thinking if this happens to me like this it likely goes for everybody else as well. (Might be a characteristic of human nature to think like this) And chances are rather high that this isn't always the case... It might be similar but that still ain't the same. Our hobby is too complex with an enormous variety of parameters and still, a hobby and far from and probably never will be an exact science.

My best guess is, that all mosses can attach if they get the correct circumstances to do this. :)

Does this make this a useless thread?... No not at all, even tho the title is a tad too exact for its contents it still is a wonderful thread and some mosses do attach easier than others and sharing these experiences is still a very nice and helpful guideline in which mosses to invest time and money. :thumbup: Or even as we do so often share the mosses and then we can again share new experiences or confirm they are the about the same or completely different.

An example does Ricia attach? A lot of people experience it doesn't it's a floating nuisance all over the place. This might be the case in a tank with a high turnover. Give Ricia a dead spot with a minimum of flow and a piece of wood it will attach to the wood and itself and stay put as long as you don't wiggle it too much around.

Last edited:
Hi all,
My best guess is, that all mosses can attach if they get the correct circumstances to do this.
I think so to. A lot of "aquarium" mosses that don't attach, will attach if grown terrestrially, <"for example in a DSM">.
So we might have a lot of moss floating around with a beautiful name but incorrect ID, who knows?
I'd guess that most mosses sold under a <"scientific name"> are wrongly named.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back