• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soilenoid valve letting through co2

Jeroen712

Hey Ukaps, my co2 solenoid valve is letting through a very small amount of co2 when it's shut off. It's around 1 bubble every 7-8 seconds.
Is this harmful to the plants? Does it cause BBA or any other algae?

Thanks alot!

Is it a new solenoid? Mine let through a bubble every few minutes when it was new. It had been sat in the box a while but after a few cycles it closes firmly.

Oh ok. Sounds like it's probably needs to be serviced (if possible) or replaced.
My concern would be a bubble every few seconds isn't too bad but what happens if it fails and allows CO² to be added continuously to your tank. Again not an issue if you're only adding a small amount but if you're on the upper end, adding CO² over night might cause real issues for your fish.

I had the same problem last year but with a lot faster bubble count abd CO2Art advised me to dismantle the solenoid and clean it with alcohol.
Instructions are on the website under FAQ/instruction manuals
I think this is the link?

I also stretched the spring slightly and haven' t had a problem since.
The instructions are easy to follow.
Cheers
John

Oh ok. Sounds like it's probably needs to be serviced (if possible) or replaced.
My concern would be a bubble every few seconds isn't too bad but what happens if it fails and allows CO² to be added continuously to your tank. Again not an issue if you're only adding a small amount but if you're on the upper end, adding CO² over night might cause real issues for your fish.
Hmm, never serviced one of these so i have no clue on how to tackle that issue. Maybe i should replace it then. And yeah, the fish will definitely be screwed if it happens to fail overnight. I inject quite alot of co2.

I had the same problem last year but with a lot faster bubble count abd CO2Art advised me to dismantle the solenoid and clean it with alcohol.
Instructions are on the website under FAQ/instruction manuals
I think this is the link?

I also stretched the spring slightly and haven' t had a problem since.
The instructions are easy to follow.
Cheers
John
Thanks alot John! i'll have a look at this.

Hmm, i just pulled it apart but it didn't have any spring or rubber parts. I've just cleaned whatever i could clean with IPA and we'll see if it works better tonight when it turns off.

Hi, did you get as far as this?
Mine was the version with nut holding the plunger but both have the same internal assembly?
The rubber pad B might have some impression marks or grit on the surface.
Is it a CO2 Art product ? If not can you post a picture?
Cheers

1653937380854.png

Hi, did you get as far as this?
Mine was the version with nut holding the plunger but both have the same internal assembly?
The rubber pad B might have some impression marks or grit on the surface.
Is it a CO2 Art product ? If not can you post a picture?
Cheers

View attachment 189286
Nope, it's not a co2art product. it's just a cheap solenoid valve i got second hand that came with a 2kg bottle and a regulator.
20220531_111823.jpg

Back