• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leaving a planted tank for two weeks…

Saman

I’m going away for two weeks mid August and I was wondering what the general advice is for leaving a planted high tech tank?

I think realistically I can probably get someone to come in and top up the water once a week but doubt anyone will be up for coming in and dosing ferts daily!

I’ll get an automated feeder for the fish and feed less so I’m not so worried about them - it’s how I manage the plants. I’ve only ever left the tank for a week (and the advice on here was to just dose all my fertiliser for the week in one go which worked out brilliantly) so this is whole new thing for me.

Just to say I’m not going to invest in any expensive computer system to control things.

Thank you

Same question here, I am going away for 5 weeks in the summer, and the most I can expect is someone simply topping up the water, nothing else. It's a low tech planted tank, no animals yet. Safe just to leave with lighting turned down a bit?

Assuming your EI, just front load EI again and come back in two weeks!

Or just leave and come back in two weeks (the plants will be fine they’ll use nutrient stores and/or sap the soil with some minerals (K primarily) from the column). Problem here is your co2 - if you don’t front load and you have been dosing EI, all your fish will very likely be gassed when you return.

What will be more important are your actions when you return.

Thanks @JoshP12 - but I understood if you were EI dosing (which I am) you need to do a water change each week to stop the concentration being too high??

By actions when I return do you mean a massive water change?

Thank you

On the point about water top ups, depending on your rate of evaporation, you may want to consider one of these bad boys from AliExpress/China, they are very cheap and effective
images.jpeg

Thanks @JoshP12 - but I understood if you were EI dosing (which I am) you need to do a water change each week to stop the concentration being too high??

By actions when I return do you mean a massive water change?

Thank you
You “do”. But this is a living thing. It’s ok. Full EI targets for 1 week on day 1. Then leave for two weeks. Come back. Business as usual.

If you dose EI 1 week and then don’t touch it one other week, you just have declining nutrient levels - it’s ok. EI is abundant my friend - most tanks can’t consume it even in 2 weeks.

Ah ok @JoshP12 - so I’m just putting 1 week of ferts in there not 2 (but leaving for 2). That makes sense. I’ll do that and leave the light and co2 the same.

@PARAGUAY that would be my preference actually. I have some children coming in to top up the water and don’t want them to have to deal with dead livestock! So if I turn my co2 off, shall I still dose 1 x week ferts and keep light the same? Thank you

Ah ok @JoshP12 - so I’m just putting 1 week of ferts in there not 2 (but leaving for 2). That makes sense. I’ll do that and leave the light and co2 the same.
do like @PARAGUAY suggest. It’s the safer option (to prevent algae etc … though if we see algae as a safety buffer of nasties - light and temp are the safety net without co2 … but I don’t want us to go this rabbit hole lol).

Cut the light, you could drop the temp slightly, off the co2, no ferts. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Thanks @JoshP12. With the light, it’s currently at 70% - what drop are we talking? And do I keep the same photo period? And when I get back, what will I need to do? Can I just put everything back to normal? I have to say my co2 has been a nightmare - I’ve had major issues with the bubble counter (it’s taken three months to manage multiple algae issues because of it) so ideally I don’t touch that when I turn the co2 back on as that’s when things seem to go wrong…

Thanks @JoshP12. With the light, it’s currently at 70% - what drop are we talking? And do I keep the same photo period? And when I get back, what will I need to do? Can I just put everything back to normal? I have to say my co2 has been a nightmare - I’ve had major issues with the bubble counter (it’s taken three months to manage multiple algae issues because of it) so ideally I don’t touch that when I turn the co2 back on as that’s when things seem to go wrong…
There is lots to unpack here.

I reckon no matter how you slice it (unless the tank is pristine, mature, and balanced upon leaving), the system is probably not robust enough to circumvent any algae issues that would arise. I.e. You are going to have to do the same thing when you return regardless.

If it was me (and someone else might do it differently), I’d turn off the co2 and leave everything as is.

If I was familiar with the ebbs and flows of the tank and system and had planned for the leave properly, I’d leave the co2 running.

If you leave co2, you run the risk of killing all of your fish and that’s not right - the plants can bounce back.

When you return from your trip, post the photos and we can course correct from there.

It will include turning on co2, daily water changes, dosing back to targets, and proper maintenance.

okay thanks @JoshP12 . So keep the light on? In the other post you said to cut the light. In terms of what I do when I get back, rather than have to post here immediately, is there a basic plan that I can just start and then post if I have issues?

okay thanks @JoshP12 . So keep the light on? In the other post you said to cut the light.
I don’t mean to confuse you.

Based on what you have shared, I think the tank is going to require the same intervention when you return whether you leave them on as is or if you reduce.

If you value livestock, turning off co2 is the safest bet.
In terms of what I do when I get back, rather than have to post here immediately, is there a basic plan that I can just start and then post if I have issues?
Daily water change, dose back to targets, co2 on, trim, and clean it up!

Thanks @JoshP12. I can’t do daily water changes as it’s an RO tank but can do every few days. I’m assuming light and co2 are back as previously and what do you mean by dose back to targets? Am I starting at 50% less ferts? Sorry the devil is always in the detail with aquascaping it seems! I do find this a curious topic - going away for 2 weeks is pretty standard and this seems quite a big deal with the tank. What do people do who have say 3 high tech tanks? Is it a divisive issue re leaving co2 on or off?

Back