• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Time to upgrade my nano tank.

Tanksy

I'd like to upgrade my nano tank, a Dennerle Nano Cube 30, L30xW30xH35cm.
Whilst it's super manageable, my fat hands barely fit in there when I have to trim the plants.
I'd like to double the volume. Should I go for a 40x40x40cm, which would fit perfectly on the cabinet; or modify the cabinet and go for a long one, but still around 60 litres?
Mind you, the cabinet is a Sera Base Cabinet with max load capacity of 120kg.

Cheers!

Go for bigger. You aren't making much difference stepping from 30 to 40. I think if you are going to the work/cost of swapping out a tank then you might as well make the bigger swap - is it worth having a look at a 60x40 footprint to give you a little more front to back too? I'd imagine a chunk of thick ply or offcut of work top on the top of the stand would allow for the longer tank.

I agree with Tam. I don't find my 40x40x40 very elegant and it's difficult to work in. I also feel it's not that good a form for fish, and possibly difficult to get oxygen dispersed.

Go for bigger. You aren't making much difference stepping from 30 to 40. I think if you are going to the work/cost of swapping out a tank then you might as well make the bigger swap - is it worth having a look at a 60x40 footprint to give you a little more front to back too? I'd imagine a chunk of thick ply or offcut of work top on the top of the stand would allow for the longer tank.
I agree with Tam. I don't find my 40x40x40 very elegant and it's difficult to work in. I also feel it's not that good a form for fish, and possibly difficult to get oxygen dispersed.
I see your point. Could you recommend a tank that has a 60x40cm footprint ?

Edit: Actually, 60x40x40cm (90 litre) would be too big to manage. Too much hassle for me to do a 50-60 litres WC every week.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert. I actually think it can be worth considering the design, like do you want euro-ledges or not. I had my main tank, a 106 litre, custom made. Others know more than me to advise on your question. I just know that my cube is a bit uncomfortable. Not many fish really do well in a 40x40 cube. It's also not the best shape for plants. I always think low and long is the better option.

This is probably not helpful, but I’m about to move from a 35l Dennerle scaper tank to an ADA 60p - when I was looking about this seemed a manageable option, but would still give good nano fish options. I have a feeling superfish do a similar size tank + kit bundle which has been pretty well regarded, but that was a year or so ago.
I am now wondering now how I will get on with tinkering being used to a relatively shallow tank, but I guess if you want the volume on a small-ish footprint you need the height.

I’d go for a 55l scapers tank or a standard 60p. I don’t much care for the dimension of the 70l scapers tank as you can’t use a “standard” sized light.

I see your point. Could you recommend a tank that has a 60x40cm footprint ?

Edit: Actually, 60x40x40cm (90 litre) would be too big to manage. Too much hassle for me to do a 50-60 litres WC every week.

Clearseal do a 24"x15"x12"H i.e. 60x38x30 (70L). That would give you that sort of footprint (60x38cm) without as much extra volume as going 40cm tall.

Aquael do a Leddy set 60x30x40H (72L) - which is extra height but not depth.

It depends on the style tank you want too - are you looking for something that holds water or something rimless and beautifully siliconed?

Clearseal do a 24"x15"x12"H i.e. 60x38x30 (70L). That would give you that sort of footprint (60x38cm) without as much extra volume as going 40cm tall.

Aquael do a Leddy set 60x30x40H (72L) - which is extra height but not depth.

It depends on the style tank you want too - are you looking for something that holds water or something rimless and beautifully siliconed?
I'm looking for a decent rimless, preferably low iron glass tank. Clearseal uses float glass I think. Can't find too much information on their website.
I visited Aquarium Gardens to pick up a couple of plants yesterday. I checked out the ADA 60P. It is a beauty indeed!
I asked them how do they keep all of their tanks so pristine and they said: weekly 80-90% WC on top of the other things, heavily planted, CO2, etc.

I tend to overcomplicate things I guess. A couple of weeks ago I bought an Oase Scaperline 60 (~63l actual water volume) to set up a reef. It's still in the box, as I'm modifying the cabinet and trying to figure out the plumbing.
Mind you, a reef tank needs only 10-20% WC per week. That is manageable. Some reefers don't do WC at all. Anyway, I thought I could use it to upgrade the nano cube, and buy a second one for the reef later on.
I'm not going to do 80-90% WC per week. Sounds like a chore. I reckon a 50% (~30l) weekly WC would be sufficient. But even that sounds like too much work when all I'm using is a 25l bucket.

So, I have these options:
1. ADA 60P (L60xW30xH36cm) ~55l actual water volume
2. Superfish Scaper 60 (L50xW35xH35cm) ~55l actual water volume
3. Aquael Opti (L60xW30xH30cm) ~48l actual water volume
4. Use the Oase Scaperline 60 and find a more efficient way to do WC.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Superfish Scaper 60, mostly because it's a manageable size and the light looks good. Or I could buy only the tank and add a Chihiros WRGB 2 (?).

Bear in mind that I'd like to keep one German Blue Ram, a school of Otos and a school of Galaxy or Chili Rasbora.

Cheers!

I’ve got the Dennerle Nano Cube 60L. It’s a handy size. Here it is next to the Eheim 37L.
874F0E51-E8F0-4982-9271-989167CBBE9C.jpeg

Last edited:
As someone who only recently moved to using hosepipes because I have to do 110l out/in between 4 tanks I will still use a watering can and buckets for all the <60l tanks if I’m changing water in only one.

I use a 20l bucket and a 12l watering can. Takes more time and is more physically involved but is about the same about of hassle in a different way as getting the hose out.

Ps. I’ve had a good look at those super fish tanks and they are a bit hit and miss in quality it would seem, panes not lining up etc, I’ve also heard that the light is a bit of a dud but I don’t know for certain, it definitely feels cheap.

As someone who only recently moved to using hosepipes because I have to do 110l out/in between 4 tanks I will still use a watering can and buckets for all the <60l tanks if I’m changing water in only one.

I use a 20l bucket and a 12l watering can. Takes more time and is more physically involved but is about the same about of hassle in a different way as getting the hose out.

Ps. I’ve had a good look at those super fish tanks and they are a bit hit and miss in quality it would seem, panes not lining up etc, I’ve also heard that the light is a bit of a dud but I don’t know for certain, it definitely feels cheap.
That's weird. People seem quite happy with the Superfish Scaper tanks on this forum.

That's weird. People seem quite happy with the Superfish Scaper tanks on this forum.
Perhaps I’m expecting more?
They’re fine for the money but I looked through maybe 10 in my lfs before buying my uns and it wasn’t many that I’d call 10/10. Silicon being a bit sloppy and the panes not meeting squarely.
Blau are the same actually and come in at a similar price so I could just be expecting too much.

Bear in mind that I'd like to keep one German Blue Ram, a school of Otos and a school of Galaxy or Chili Rasbora.

Cheers!

I'm not sure you'd fit a school of Otos - when they swim in a group they zoom along my 90x45 tank. I quarantined in a smaller tank and had to be careful not to startle them as they'd hit the glass. Haven't kept rams. Galaxy or Chili would suit that size tank well though.

Perhaps I’m expecting more?
They’re fine for the money but I looked through maybe 10 in my lfs before buying my uns and it wasn’t many that I’d call 10/10. Silicon being a bit sloppy and the panes not meeting squarely.
Blau are the same actually and come in at a similar price so I could just be expecting too much.
Just returned from my lfs. They had one and only Superfish Scaper 60 demo kit, so I had the chance to check it out in the flesh. Yes, the panes are not 100% square. One or two are probably 0.5 mm off from top to bottom.
Would that affect the tanks integrity? Probably not. The glass is not 100% clear. It has a slight tint. It's not ADA. It is a good deal though, if one finds a perfect tank.

I'm not sure you'd fit a school of Otos - when they swim in a group they zoom along my 90x45 tank. I quarantined in a smaller tank and had to be careful not to startle them as they'd hit the glass. Haven't kept rams. Galaxy or Chili would suit that size tank well though.
According to the internet, the minimum tank size is 10 gallons or 40 litres for a school of 6. I've also read that if the tank is too big, they can get scared and hide. They need to see their buddies in all places to feel safe.
If the tank is too small , they will eat algae very fast and can starve. I'll start with a group of 4 and see how it goes.

The APS tanks I have had have been decent quality for the price:

Unless you are running high tech, it isn't always necessary to change 50% of the water weekly, low tech 10-25% is often plenty, particularly if you aren't stocking particularly heavily as you don't seem to be from your stock list.

I understand where your coming from, I’m thinking of downsizing to the ada60f, I like shallow tanks and secondly, I want the water changes to be easier than my current equivalent size of an aquascaper900.

The APS tanks I have had have been decent quality for the price:

Unless you are running high tech, it isn't always necessary to change 50% of the water weekly, low tech 10-25% is often plenty, particularly if you aren't stocking particularly heavily as you don't seem to be from your stock list.
I'm running high tech and I haven't added fish yet. But I want to. I guess 25% WC won't be enough when fully stocked.

I understand where your coming from, I’m thinking of downsizing to the ada60f, I like shallow tanks and secondly, I want the water changes to be easier than my current equivalent size of an aquascaper900.
I feel ya! :)
I used to have a 140 lt saltwater and it was a pita to maintain. Especially during the ugly stage.

Back