• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Unsightly white dots on manzanite

Hi all, hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying the hot weather we've had recently.

Over the last few days I've noticed very VERY small white dots appearing all over my manzanite. At first It was a couple of dots lower down but now it's reaching all areas of the wood.

I've searched various posts on the Web, most were threads about the typical fungus that we all endure during a new set up, but nothing of real evidence of what this could be.

Is there any of the brain bots out there like @dw1305 etc whom may know what it is. I'm thinking a fungus of some sort, they aren't creepy crawlies as they don't move. But if I brush them off, they're back in a day or two. It's only on the wood too, which has me think a fungus of some sort?

All stats are fine, nitrates etc all within the accepted levels, PH 6.7 down to 5.8 during co2 hours, all fish, shrimp etc super healthy and breeding, but I do notice the otocinclus won't settle on any of the wood that has this on which is affecting what they can nibble on naturally.

Many thanks in advance

IMG_20220727_213113.jpg
IMG_20220727_213113.jpg

I agree with fungus. There are many more kinds than just the one we typically get on new wood. Ive had this one and a few others before. Wouldn't know how to begin to name it though :geek:

I agree with fungus. There are many more kinds than just the one we typically get on new wood. Ive had this one and a few others before. Wouldn't know how to begin to name it though :geek:
Ahh ok, thank Hufsa, how did you prevent it, as I've had a toothbrush on the various pieces of wood, brushed clean but it's rampant and is back in a day or two. 😭

Normally you just wait and the <fungal primordia> stop growing.
Hi Simon, well thats a relief then, especially as it indicates the tank is very healthy. Its just a little unsightly really, but i am growing this scape more for the health of plants, aa little algae as possible, healthy fish and shrimp etc. Its just preventing the otto's from chomping on the algae on the wood as they wont go near the wood its on, and they are stubborn as they wont take spirulina, wafers cucumber etc

Back