• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water parameters for my shrimp

Lee iley

Evening guys,

Just been looking at my water report and just want to know if its good enough for my shrimp.
Water mod soft.
GH 4.6
Mg 3.98
Ca 26.3
I have lost 2 blue cherry/ 1 amano and 1 orange cherry this week. I out it down to the warm weather. My tank has been set up for about 14 weeks now. Also could I have crystal reds? Any help would be great.

Cheers Lee

Increased temperature is tightly connected with decreased oxygen content. I'm not a shrimp expert but I've been observing shrimps responding very positively to oxygenation. Airstones and venturis should be used at least during high summer.

Increased temperature is tightly connected with decreased oxygen content. I'm not a shrimp expert but I've been observing shrimps responding very positively to oxygenation. Airstones and venturis should be used at least during high summer.
Thanks maq for the reply, appreciate it.

Hi all,
I'm not a shrimp expert but I've been observing shrimps responding very positively to oxygenation. Airstones and venturis should be used at least during high summer.
I have a link for you, not really that relevant for shrimps (I wrote it, sometime ago, for the keepers of rheophilic plecs) but <"relevant to oxygenation"> in all tanks.

<"PlecoPlanet">.

cheers Darrel

Just been looking at my water report and just want to know if its good enough for my shrimp.
To directly answer the question, yes your tap water is ideal for shrimp.. you could possibly add a bit more magnesium if you want to get on the ratio train, but it's not the reason for the livestock losses 😉

Forgive me if I am overlooking something, but no values for your tanks ammonia or nitrite? Those are relatively many deaths to have in a short time, and amanos are pretty tough shrimp 😕
Hi Hugsa,

I havnt tested for the above as you guys on here say never to test. So havnt bothered buying test kits. I use a TDS pen and a PH pen that's it. My tank is very heavily planted so I thought they would be taking up the amonia.

Cheers Lee

To directly answer the question, yes your tap water is ideal for shrimp.. you could possibly add a bit more magnesium if you want to get on the ratio train, but it's not the reason for the livestock losses 😉
Thanks John,
Appreciate the reply how could I add extra magnesium?

Cheers Lee

Back