• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias help

Mattant1984

I had noticed I have some white patches on some anubias leaves. It's only on the anubias that are higher up in the tank all the ones at the bottom are fine.

They have been in the tank for a few months and been fine until recently.
I dose weekly with tnc complete and all other plants ootherplants seem fine

Any ideas??

Attachments

• 20220829_181659.jpg
    20220829_181659.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20220829_181621.jpg
    20220829_181621.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
So after posting yesterday about white patches on some of my anubias leaves I decided to take a closer look and cut off one of the leaves.

I had some comments saying it might be biogenic decalcification however on closer inspection the leaves are actually full of holes and the green is just wasting away.

Could anyone give me an idea to what this could be? Is it to do with light? Is the plant lacking something?
(Note: it only seems to be my anubias that are higher up in the tank, the ones down near the substrate seem fine)
Many thanks

Attachments

• 20220830_085117.jpg
    20220830_085117.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • 20220830_085124.jpg
    20220830_085124.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
What's in the tank? That looks like physical damage - got any vegetarians?
There loads ot tetras, angels, denison barbs, corrys, otos, 2 bristlenose.

Most of the damagae doesn't actually go all the way through the leaf it's as if its gone see through

Try feeding them some fresh veggies and see if the damage stops. Courgette is a good one. Cut a slice, pour boiling water over to blanch it, stab it with a fork or spoon handle to weigh it down and drop it in the tank.

Try feeding them some fresh veggies and see if the damage stops. Courgette is a good one. Cut a slice, pour boiling water over to blanch it, stab it with a fork or spoon handle to weigh it down and drop it in the tank.
I will give it a go thanks for the idea 💡

Hi all,
Little b*ggers I will have to try supplementing their diet with move veggies
Normally they only go for Anubias when they are really short of "greens". Echinodorus spp are their preferred nibble.
will this leaf damage repair itself or should I just remove the leaves??
It won't repair itself. You can either remove the leaves, or wait for them to fall off naturally. If they've damaged a lot of leaves? I might wait for thenm to fall off, because those leaves will still photosynthesise and it will take the plant a long time to grow new leaves (Anubias barteri is a slow grower).

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Normally they only go for Anubias when they are really short of "greens". Echinodorus spp are their preferred nibble.

It won't repair itself. You can either remove the leaves, or wait for them to fall off naturally. If they've damaged a lot of leaves? I might wait for thenm to fall off, because those leaves will still photosynthesise and it will take the plant a long time to grow new leaves (Anubias barteri is a slow grower).

cheers Darrel
Thanks again for your help Darrel, top man 👍

Definitely the bristlenose, you need to give them an almost continuous source of veg to keep them distracted. My ancistrus like courgette and go mad for mushrooms. If I don’t add the veg for a night or two my echinodorus take a hammering.

Cheers

Definitely the bristlenose, you need to give them an almost continuous source of veg to keep them distracted. My ancistrus like courgette and go mad for mushrooms. If I don’t add the veg for a night or two my echinodorus take a hammering.

Cheers
Oh so you feed veg daily? Didn't think they needed it thay often

Back