• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

can i use Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride

I ask because I have loads of Easy Life calcium and magnesium supplements left over from reefing, I emailed Easy Life and they said 'They use the Chloride salts of these nutrients'.
So should i get rid of them or can i use them to re-mineralise my ro water?
Yes you could use them. Of course they would also raise your chloride levels pretty high. Most people that I know who use calcium chloride use magnesium sulfate instead of magnesium chloride because it raises chloride so much. For example 14ppm calcium from calcium chloride has 24 ppm of chloride. 14 ppm of magnesium from magnesium chloride has 40 ppm of chloride.

Last edited:
Yes you could use them. Of course they would also raise your chloride levels pretty high.
That was my thinking too, I dont know what the chloride concentration is so I decided not to use them and buy the dry salts so i have control of what im putting in.

In general, I consider sulfates and chlorides (in reasonable amounts) harmless to plants. Not so sure about fish and other animals. Yes, if possible, I try to keep roughly the same amount of both, but never seen it having made any difference.
Is anyone's experience or knowledge different? Do you know of any reasons to keep chlorides (or sulfates, for their part) in check?

In general, I consider sulfates and chlorides (in reasonable amounts) harmless to plants. Not so sure about fish and other animals. Yes, if possible, I try to keep roughly the same amount of both, but never seen it having made any difference.
Is anyone's experience or knowledge different? Do you know of any reasons to keep chlorides (or sulfates, for their part) in check?
I have a lot of expensive Discus fish in my tank so as i would have no control over how much chloride i was adding i've decided against using them and get the salts.

Back