• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant id check, maintenance and re planting

Abarth_1200

So I've had these 2 plants for nearly a year, the bushy one (Ludwiga?) was very fast to grow to start with, but slowed down after a couple of months which I was glad about as it was taking over my tank. Thinking back it's obvious the root tabs had been used up and I should have planted another/ looked into fert dosing. But I didnt, I enjoyed the slow growth and less maintenance, which I think is what led to bba/ green spot algae. Now more under control with lower light levels and liquid carbon/ fert dosing and weekly water changes.

The other narrow stem plant (hygropotle soemthing?) hasn't really done much growing. It got a layer of algae on it, my oto and snails cleaned some bits up but it's looking very sorry for itself. I'm planing on rescaping the tank without moving the big bushy one but if I do how should I slim it down and plant it appropriately so it doesn't drown out my foreground. Also note it's got dark patches of algae on leaves, I think this was the top evooi red light levels. My tank isn't very tall. 60L and probably 35leds right above it

Appreciate a quick reply saying chop it all down and throw the roots back into the substrate at the back and it'll be fine. Or save me from the above?!

E1957EA8-EC26-4290-A270-840647B98F83.jpeg

598797DC-594F-4C4F-B506-469FBA54DC7C.jpeg

Hi
First image of plant could be Hygrophila polysperma - Dwarf Hygrophila
Snip the stem half way down remove some of the lower leaves from the cutting and re-plant....should take root in a few days.
Not sure what the second image is, could be a Bacopa!
Try this tutorial below to help combat algae!
hoggie

So I replanted the bacopa, lots of healthy roots but can I just trim the tops down to get rid of the old leaves.

Also planted this lovely plant, super fast grower has nearly doubled in height. Should I just trim this when I'm happy with its height?

2E0268F9-B867-4F8E-94C8-8A5132A0516B.jpeg
F22AE177-80EF-4B3A-93F7-1E5A153598E5.jpeg

Also planted some tropica pots of hydrocotle tripartita. Looked great for a week and now I'm noticing the brown around the edges. Is this just die off?
06C49A2A-8688-4246-AD48-7AFC913B4DA9.jpeg

Implement this below tutorial.

I have stem plants, and frogbit now and some of the polysperma floating. Im
I did this too, using some of the polysperma and I have Amazon frogtbit. I'm not sure why as this tank is a year old so I don't exactly need to use it as a start up filtering aid.

Are there any plant care tutorials on looking after plants, I get the feeling I should just know what plants need what care

Also planted this lovely plant, super fast grower has nearly doubled in height. Should I just trim this when I'm happy with its height?
If you cut and replant the tops you can maintain the desired height, limnophila sessiliflora probably works better when it's done this way. Cutting and leaving the bottom section in place also works and will encourage bushy growth, however the old stems tend to get ugly and deteriorate.

Also planted some tropica pots of hydrocotle tripartita. Looked great for a week and now I'm noticing the brown around the edges. Is this just die off?
Yes and no, old growth die off you can't stop (well you can, but it means dimming the lights, and most folks don't realise that.) 😉
Concentrate on any new growth, from the pictures it looks like new growth is ok 👍

If you cut and replant the tops you can maintain the desired height, limnophila sessiliflora probably works better when it's done this way. Cutting and leaving the bottom section in place also works and will encourage bushy growth, however the old stems tend to get ugly and deteriorate.
So I would need to keep replanting. What ever happened to planting something then just trimming it every now and then like you know bushes and trees outside. I'll try cutting and filling out the bottom first then I'll plant a few of the tops along the back of the tank

Back