• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the temp in your planted tank?

FISHnLAB

Hi guys, just wondering what temperature everyone is keeping their planted tanks at? I know this can sonewhat be dictated by the wildlife you may keep but, most can be kept within a range. Considering the lower risk of algae and higher gas concentrations at lower temperatures, it seams preferential to stay closer to the low end of the spectrum as long as ones wildlife still thrives.

So, what are your thoughts on this and what do you prefer to run at? Thanks👍.

Last edited:
Lol, my responses appear to be warming up😂. Thanks guys👍.

Edit: I'm at 25-26C in my main tank currently and I lowered it from 26-27C two to three weeks ago.

Mine varies throughout the year with the heater set to 22c but in summer it can go anywhere up to 28-29c (in exceptional weather like we had this year). I like a little variation across the year so 22-27c I'm happy with. Most plants seem to do great at just room temperature (normal not cold houses) even if they are happier a little warmer.

24 main fish tank. 25 terraruim full of cryptocoryne, then today set up a small emeresed spill over type tank i'am planning on leaving unheated as a experiment, currently it's 18.

Hi @FISHnLAB

Aquarium thermometers can be notoriously inaccurate. It's worth bearing this in mind.

JPC :)
Roger that. I'll assume everyone has checked the accuracy of their measuring device. I have a few different user calibrated fast read thermometers, IR thermometers, temperature probes, medical thermometers, and old school mercury filled ones so I'm pretty sure my readings are accurate😁.

Really, I am just looking for an average ballpark successful growers use anyway. I'm thinking 24C is a good middle ground and is what Dennis Wong uses in all of his tanks. I'm at 25-26C now in my main tank but, around 23-24C in all my others. I may slowly lower my main tank to fall in line but, no rush as I don't want to change too much at once. I really need to let my tank settle in but, it's hard to not change things when you realize through research that something is not quite ideal. I know all of you guys went through this same struggle lol.

21.7 - 22.0 with an Inkbird. Of course different people have different livestock (or arent in UK), but I was't expecting a good proportion are >=25

Set at 25 but obviously gets hotter in the summer, up to around 29/30 this year.

Back