• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My 60p soft water

IMG_20230316_213348.jpg

First few days of masterline dosing. No differences yet....

This post marks the end of my miracle gro experiment.

I was able to grow weedy ludwigia, picky rotala and various other stems together in inert substrate with Minimal stunting and minimal water changes. The poor growth of some species such as bucephalandra, cryptocoryne and eriocaulon leaves something to be desired.

I will be going back to more orthodox dosing methods and see how that plays out for me. If anyone would like to try and replicate my dosing and system from this experiment.
Here were my parameters.
N. 2
P 0.3
K 1.3
Fe 0.016
Mn 0.0075
B 0.003
Cu. 0.0025
Zn. 0.0025
Mo. 0.00008
Ca. 0.66
Mg. 0.33
Ni. 0.00001
Dosed weekly, sometimes at half dose depending on plant mass.
Inert substrate.
Calcium 5ppm
Magnesium 2ppm
Co2 1.1-1.2pH drop.
Chihiros wrgb2 100% (atleast two hundred par at substrate)

The miracle gro dosing works very well to grow difficult soft water stems in inert substrate. However it is far from optimal for another group of plants, hardwater plants. And rooting plants such as eriocaulon.

This picture is the last photo/update on this tank under miracle gro dosing

My new dosing scheme:

Coupled with higher GH I am interested to see how this works for plants in inert substrate. I will be trying my absolute best to keep up with atleast weekly 30% WC.
Hello, your tank is really beautiful.

What is the iron chelate in the Masterlina clone? Edta? dtpa? gluconate?

What is your tds and ph?

Also is kh 0?
Doesn't gh 10 sound too high?

Hello, your tank is really beautiful
Thank you.
What is the iron chelate in the Masterlina clone? Edta? dtpa? gluconate?
I am using dtpa alone.
What is your tds and ph?
Before higher GH my TDs was 20-30. Now I have TDs around 120 at GH 6.

pH drops from 6.85 to 5.75 with co2
Also is kh 0?
Doesn't gh 10 sound too high
kH is 0 bt I never use GH 10. Before my GH was around 1-2 now it is increased to 5-6

Attachments

• IMG_5716.JPG
    IMG_5716.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5718.JPG
    IMG_5718.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5721.JPG
    IMG_5721.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5659.JPG
    IMG_5659.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 129
Nice my friend
My lean dosing , and K<Mg test.
Very nice Macek, I used to use K<Mg when dosing miracle gro. But with masterline K>Mg. Starting your new tank soon?😉

Nice my friend
My lean dosing , and K<Mg test.
Will be a new topic;)
Lean dosing in general is not new to me
The new one for me is K<Mg.Currently, I micro fertilize similarly to @plantnoobdude

Macro: per week
NO3 6.6ppm (UREA -CaNO3,MgNO3- 50% -50%)
PO4-0.3
K-1.3
Ca-0.66
Mg-0.33
from 2-3 weeks I dose 50% (3 days macro, 3 days micro)

WC
Ca-10
Mg-5
K-2

It's called the HL-.2N License. Only 'Leaners' can apply.

Ok, I'm going to apply for a licence ! Hope it doesn't get rejected because my dosing is not lean enough as I'm mixing APT EI and Tropica :cool:

I read that Hufsa is going full Tropica, so that should be lean enough to apply for a licence too!

Big trim and reset.
Trying buce again.....
Sometimes these resets and substrate vacuums are necessary, the tank will take a bit in the coming week or so, but the tank will thank me for it in the long run.
IMG_20230326_201930.jpg

Need to thin out my blood vomit because they are getting a bit yellowish. I'm not sure how some people keep thick bushes of them.
Quinquangulare is mediocre, but not good
Followed water change with triple dose recommended by masterline.

The Buce wall is a good idea for those of us with no more space! Can you share how you hook the Buce wall onto the sides of the glass?
It's just kinda wedged in-between my skimmer and I have it held down with my magnetic glass cleaner for now.

I'm not sure how some people keep thick bushes of them.
This plant is a special one. As you know it's a slow grower so it will take quite some time to create an extravagant bush. Here are the criteria to make it bushy and healthy:
  • High light
  • High CO2 in its face;
  • Uber clean substrate [this is of upmost importance] juiced up with ammonia;
  • 0 moving the plant. This is a no no. No uprooting because you fancy moving it. It will set it back;
  • Trumpet snails have a negative impact on this plant by moving the root system. Roots are quite shallow comparatively to other plants.

Now wait.

This plant is a special one. As you know it's a slow grower so it will take quite some time to create an extravagant bush. Here are the criteria to make it bushy and healthy:
  • High light
  • High CO2 in its face;
  • Uber clean substrate [this is of upmost importance] juiced up with ammonia;
  • 0 moving the plant. This is a no no. No uprooting because you fancy moving it. It will set it back;
  • Trumpet snails have a negative impact on this plant by moving the root system. Roots are quite shallow comparatively to other plants.

Now wait.
Would you recommend I thin them out and give them more space and also clean out the substrate area around it? They should grow well in sand aswell right? I see quite a few people growing them in sand with masterline ferts.

Would you recommend I thin them out and give them more space and also clean out the substrate area around it?
Having a clean substrate is very important for this plant so cleaning around can help. You could thin it a bit and remove the yellowing leaves to allow proper water flow around them.
They should grow well in sand aswell right? I see quite a few people growing them in sand with masterline ferts.
I guess you could but I think the plant will grow a more robust root system with a rich substrate enabling it to grow more bushy. I guess that if the fertilizer contains urea/N this can also work. Low N slows it down quite a bit so you need to make sure there is enough.

Having a clean substrate is very important for this plant so cleaning around can help. You could thin it a bit and remove the yellowing leaves to allow proper water flow around them.

I guess you could but I think the plant will grow a more robust root system with a rich substrate enabling it to grow more bushy. I guess that if the fertilizer contains urea/N this can also work. Low N slows it down quite a bit so you need to make sure there is enough.
I'll thin and clean them out today👍

Back