• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Microscope Pics

aquaticmaniac

I was given a microscope/USB camera kit for my birthday on Monday. The quality from the actual lenses is better than what the camera can do, but it's still cool :p

I think this is hair algae...
4226275509_b714eeb407_o.jpg

And this is Fissidens fontanus
4227042864_e23fae4cab_o.jpg

This thing is going to come in handy. That's if the fish ever get ill...I want to look at bacteria or parasites.
If you didn't know I was a nerd, you do now :lol:

brilliant :thumbup:
If you ever get spyrogyra that looks cool under the microscope.

Can you post a pic of your equipment please? what magnification are you using on these?
I have been looking at microscopes which are around £120 for a decent one but havent looked at any which can take pictures. never really gave it a thought.

Thanks, Aaron

If I remember right, these were taken at 40x magnification, Aaron.

It's German made by Bresser called the "Biolux AL" and has a magnification range of 20x-1280x.
It comes with:
5 year warranty
Turret with 3 high-value targets (4x/10x/40x)
2X times eyepieces (5x & 16x)
LED Lighting with dimmer and 3 main settings (backlit, above lighting, and both)
Colour filter
Cross table
Mechanical plate
Kit of prepared slides, blank slides and accessories for preparing your own slides
Various accessories: tweezers, scissors, cutter for specimens
And of course, the camera & software, which attaches to your computer for a live view via USB port.

The camera, IMO, is nothing special. It's basically just a webcam made to fit onto the microscope. I think the whole kit is worth its price, though. They were being sold for about 50 quid at LIDL. Mine was one of the two left in my area, so you'll have to look around which stores are still carrying them. You can get them online, though. I saw them on ebay for closer to 100, and read that they're sometimes sold online for nearer 150.

Supposedly, it magnifies to 1280x, but that is through the use of a barlow lens, which to me doesn't look to be much...
The quality of the actual lenses is pretty decent. What you're able to see is much better than what the camera can do, but you can always upgrade that yourself. It's not the best microscope out there, but it's a good kit for the price.

The tweezers and scissors came in handy for trimming plants :lol:

Back